NV3500 Clutch Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Szil66

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, just looking for an answer. I have searched this forum and all over trying to find an answer but I can't come up with one so I appreciate the help.

I have a 95 GMC K1500 with a 5.7/NV3500. It's got 216k miles on it. I've had it for just over a year and it hasn't caused me any problems. I plan on putting a 5.3 and a new 3500 in it next summer but I am not sure my tranny is going to hold out until then...

But here's my problem, this just started happening a couple weeks ago. My first indication was I drove it across the state and then on some offroad trails in the Hills, not abusing it or wheeling just scouting out hunting area. I got to a point where I needed to turn around went to put it in reverse and reverse would just spin, couldn't get it into gear. Even trying 1st to reverse to get it to stop. It happened a couple of times that day but hasn't happen since.

Now this last week, occasionally there is a noise when I let out the clutch from a dead stop. It doesn't happen every time and I can't make it happen. Anyway the noise is like a quiet chatter when the clutch pedal is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way out, but stops as soon as the clutch is out. Doesn't happen any other time only when starting from a dead stop in first.

I put in a new clutch master and slave cylinder in this weekend but it will still do it every once in awhile. I've read tons of different possibilities from bad slave to bad bearings to bad/glazed clutch but none of them seem to be the same symptoms, so just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing or know what it could be.

Thanks

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Idk about you, but with pretty much all of the GMT's i've had that were stick, there have always been a time or two when it just doesn't want to go into gear. I'll fiddle around trying to get it in, then eventually just lift up the brake pedal and let it roll a little, then lift the clutch and push back down and it goes right in. Happened to me in an external and internal slave nv3500, and an nv4500. Sounds like the noise is the throwout bearing.

Garrett

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, just looking for an answer. I have searched this forum and all over trying to find an answer but I can't come up with one so I appreciate the help.

I have a 95 GMC K1500 with a 5.7/NV3500. It's got 216k miles on it. I've had it for just over a year and it hasn't caused me any problems. I plan on putting a 5.3 and a new 3500 in it next summer but I am not sure my tranny is going to hold out until then...

But here's my problem, this just started happening a couple weeks ago. My first indication was I drove it across the state and then on some offroad trails in the Hills, not abusing it or wheeling just scouting out hunting area. I got to a point where I needed to turn around went to put it in reverse and reverse would just spin, couldn't get it into gear. Even trying 1st to reverse to get it to stop. It happened a couple of times that day but hasn't happen since.

Now this last week, occasionally there is a noise when I let out the clutch from a dead stop. It doesn't happen every time and I can't make it happen. Anyway the noise is like a quiet chatter when the clutch pedal is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way out, but stops as soon as the clutch is out. Doesn't happen any other time only when starting from a dead stop in first.

I put in a new clutch master and slave cylinder in this weekend but it will still do it every once in awhile. I've read tons of different possibilities from bad slave to bad bearings to bad/glazed clutch but none of them seem to be the same symptoms, so just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing or know what it could be.

Thanks

Having the same problem except mine has escalated to not being able to get into any gears. Truck has to be off then put in 1st then start and float rest of gears (sucks if you have to stop at stoplight) i also put new slave and master cylinder on. Mine was doing the intermittent chirp/rubbing noise but stopped thats when not being able to clutch any gears started. i took dust shield off and i can move clutch fork fork front to back maybe ¼ inch or so by hand. if you figure this out before me let me know what you came up with. ill probably pull transmission this weekend. Glad to finally find someone who had the same coming and going noise ive search everywhere.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just had the same problem with my NV4500. When everything was cold, I could work the clutch and shift somewhat normally. After things heated up, there was a very noticeable grinding noise and resistance in the clutch pedal. I had to double clutch to get into any gear at a stop. The issue was the throwout bearing, but I had the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, clutch fork, and pivot ball changed also. The clutch is smooth as butter now.

Szil66

Reaction score
I was thinking it was probably the throwout bearing but since it'll only do it in first when letting the clutch out and no other time I wasn't really sure. How long do you think I can get by before having to change it. I dont want to buy a new clutch because when I swap to a 5.3 I imagine I'm going to have to buy another one.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drive it until either you get tired of the noise/rough shifting, or the bearing completely fails and won't allow shifting at all. In my case, it got the worst while I was pulling a 30 foot travel trailer and completely locked up. It wasn't a few days after that it was in the shop having the parts replaced.

Garrett

Reaction score
I was thinking it was probably the throwout bearing but since it'll only do it in first when letting the clutch out and no other time I wasn't really sure. How long do you think I can get by before having to change it. I dont want to buy a new clutch because when I swap to a 5.3 I imagine I'm going to have to buy another one.
Mine lasted about a month (70-80 miles a day 3 or 4 days a week) before noise and being able to sometimes get into gear quit all together. i first thought throw out bearing but the noise seemed to stop if i held clutch to floor and then start when i start to let off pedal and move which is oppisite of what should be if it were throw out bearing i believe. My clutch kit doesn't have 20k on it so its hard to believe TOB be the problem already but idk. planning on taking transmission out this week or weekend so i will let you know what i find

Last edited:

Szil66

Reaction score
Interested to see what you find. Noise is more frequent today then it has been and louder. Still only when starting out in first. Now that it's louder it sound like more of a grinding noise than chatter. I can still shift fine, that doesn't seem to have changed. And it doesn't grind when shifting, only when it's in first and I let out the clutch.

Hope it's not the input shaft bearing or I'm going to need a tranny sooner rather than later..

Garrett

Reaction score
That sure sounds exactly like what mine was doing. noise was loader or quiet and stopped completley one day back next could still shift though. Then one day at a stop light it wouldnt go into gear had to shut off put 1st theb start it to get out of traffic shut it off was on phone for 5 mins started truck and it worked again thats what has me baffled and why i went with new slave and master though it was something with preasure but no fix. After it did that at stop light it was only day or 2 later that noise and ability to shift both were gone.

Garrett

Reaction score
Well got transmission out this morning. Clutch spring came out and was between clutch and flywheel. I guess that would be noise before it came out all the way and got stuck not letting the clutch move. Pilot bushing was bad also. New kit $125 from o'rileys. Only 20k miles since I put last kit in but they were hard miles pulling trailer of logs to saw mill about 6-8 times a week.