Nv3500/5lm60 cracked case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What safe measure ? was it worn ? Wrong size? What made decide that has to be changed out?
I've never replaced one. And that's starting with a 56 Chevy belair, and a 55 GMC and onward through the 70's.
It has shoulder on it right? There is probably some special tooling / procedure to remove it, as it's in a Aluminum case.
There hardened steel.
Maybe wanting to try out his new BFH.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What safe measure ? was it worn ? Wrong size? What made decide that has to be changed out?
I've never replaced one. And that's starting with a 56 Chevy belair, and a 55 GMC and onward through the 70's.
It has shoulder on it right? There is probably some special tooling / procedure to remove it, as it's in a Aluminum case.
There hardened steel.
It looked a little worn to me, still round but there was just a couple scores on it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beat the bushes. Somebody near you at least has a mig and a spool gun. I would not reinstall that without welding it, even if I had to weld it myself.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beat the bushes. Somebody near you at least has a mig and a spool gun. I would not reinstall that without welding it, even if I had to weld it myself.
I just don’t know it’s worth the time or money to get welded, it was a $200 transmission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just don’t know it’s worth the time or money to get welded, it was a $200 transmission.
Maybe ask yourself different questions. Since you're putting this transmission into your truck, don't you want it to work correctly? Do you want to pull it right back out after it prematurely fails?

Richard

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe ask yourself different questions. Since you're putting this transmission into your truck, don't you want it to work correctly? Do you want to pull it right back out after it prematurely fails?

Richard
I know nobody that can weld this thing, and I have never touched a welder in my life.

Chances are once I have some money saved up Im going to upgrade to a nice NV4500 anyways, I think it'll last for a little while.

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter why he pulled it out. I agree with the poster above who recommended TIG welding it. I'd weld that sum-bee and then press in the ball stud and drive the wee out of it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a cheap basturd, and it's definitely worth the time and/or money. You know somebody who can weld. Ask around. Where are you located? Somebody might know a guy in your area. Honestly, if you have the transmission in the bed of your truck and can back it up to his welder, it's a five minute job for him. Ten if he TIGs it. I'd be surprised if you had to pay more than $20 and a 12-pack. You might get it for just a 12-pack - but only if it's good beer.

Heck, if nothing else, braze it with some Alumaloy. With the stud in the hole, set the broken piece in place and grind a groove over the crack. Heat both pieces as hot as you can, and then feed the Alumaloy rod into the crack while keeping the heat on it. It'll make a stronger connection than JB Weld ever could.
www.amazon.com/YEJJET-Aluminum-Brazing-Propane-Solution/dp/B0CF1VXQCJ/

Tom400CFI

Reaction score
:iagree:
Even if it was $200 bucks, when functioning, it's worth "$1000 bucks", or so, right? At this point, it's a pretty quick and easy repair, IMO.