NV3500 and NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of thinking.. (lol probably a bad thing) but online rates these trans to have a much lower TQ and HP rating than i would think. For example, in my case if I were to swap my auto for the NV3500, they are factory rated at 300 ft/lbs of tq?

That doesn't seem right at all. A buddy of mine had done a mildish street build on his 350 (not super mild but close enough) with vortec heads, decently sized comp roller cam, dual plane edelbrock intake, 750 cfm holley carb etc. The whole works comes out to roughly 370+hp and 400+tq and its on a stock NV3500 that came with his 94 regular cab. He's had it in there for a few years and daily driven, he's ragged on it a few times(like we all do) and has had no trouble out of it, maybe a clutch or two but thats no biggy lol

So im curious what the real rating would be on these transmissions? Also would it be possible to swap my 4l60e to one of these NV3500 or NV4500's and what all would I have to do to manage that?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What they're rated for, and what will kill them instantly, are two different things. A buddy of mine ran an NV3500 behind a cammed 502 big block for a while, with abuse, until he literally broke the case on it. You can kill an NV3500 with a stock small block, btw.

Richard

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what you're after. The 3500 is a nice light shifting well spaced ratios trans. A 4500 is a truck transmission. Big and bulky shifting and has odd ratios.
If you don't bang on it, a good '94 and up 3500 is a nice item.
I ran one behind a 489 for 5 years without a problem. Towed a good bit too. No clutch or other issues. All in how you treat it. I didn't take it to the strip.
Your 4L80 is the best item if towing heavy.
NV4500s had bad years. Be careful. '94 and up 3500s are the better units. Avoid the V6 version.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me add that 3500s use techie lube and it is vital that the correct lubricant be used.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had people say the same thing bout Saginaw 4-speed I had in a 79 Malibu. I put in a healthy 454, and didn't always treat it nice. I'm not great at speed shifting, kinda tough when drive an 18 speed all day lol. But couple times I did some 5K clutch dumps in first and bangin 2nd just as hard going sideways. Man I miss that car. Anyways, traction is the key. If drive it normal, lite the tires up now n then, shift it right, then it would prolly hold up for awhile, But if beatin' the ever lovin' snot out of it, well it ain't gonna last long. NV4500s are good tranny's but as mentioned don't shift as quick as the 3500s. But will hold up to some serious abuse.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Let me add that 3500s use techie lube and it is vital that the correct lubricant be used.
^^This
The proper lubricant is vital for a health trans. The PO put gear oil for a diff in mine and it killed it. Improper fluid will etch the brass synchros and not allow it to shift right, grinding the gears.
All trans, auto or manual, have their pros and cons. Just a matter of how you treat it.