Noob! Lookin for info on 97-98 single/extended cabs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umadbro?

Reaction score
I've always loved the gmt400 bodystyle and simplicity, and the fact that the engine isn't buried in the firewall, but also love the gen III+ sbc.

I was specifically wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction to find info about the differences between trim levels, cab size, etc for the 97's and 98's. I'm definitely leaning towards a loaded 4x4 single cab, but was wondering what options are rare, desirable, maybe which options to avoid, etc. What kind of common problem areas to watch out for.

Thanks!

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
If you are doing any towing or you're planning on hauling some decent weight in the bed, I would strongly recommend the 2500 or 3500. The HD trucks are outfitted with stronger frames, better suspension and brakes, and many times a stronger transmission as well.

If you're just looking for a daily driver or an off road toy, go with a 1500. There is a much wider selection of lifts and parts for the 1500s. In that case go for a Silverado Z-71 package, the Cheyenne and Scottsdale packages are much more basic.

umadbro?

Reaction score
Mainly just for using for hauling random stuff around, off roading, and I'd like to someday get around a 20' travel trailer to use maybe a few times a year at most.

Basically something that's very versatile that wouldn't normally be used as a daily driver, but would be able to be used as a daily driver if i wanted to, if I happened to be working close to home. Something I'd keep around for a long time.