Non shifting 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beefy k1500

Reaction score
i have a 1995 k1500 with a 4l60e. It lost all gears just driving down the road. I had ground issues that took out my shift indictator, blower motor, wipers, brake lights, 4x4, and ignition module. I'm assuming somehow it damaged the transmission electronics. Fluid level is spot on, and fluid is red and clean. It doesn't even went to go into gear. I'm not aware of how to diagnose this or what solenoid in the pan could possibly take everything out.

Rocco

Reaction score
If you put it in gear and there is no movement in any gear including reverse then you either have zero fluid or your pump is gone. Even with no electronics ( power ) you will have 3rd and reverse, called limp mode. easiest ways to check the pump if you have confiremed you have fluid is 1. the fluid level will change dip stick ranges from engine running and off, 2. remove one of the transmission cooler lines from the radiator ( while engine is off ) and then start the engine, transmission fluid should spray everywhere while running if the pump is good.

Beefy k1500

Reaction score
If you put it in gear and there is no movement in any gear including reverse then you either have zero fluid or your pump is gone. Even with no electronics ( power ) you will have 3rd and reverse, called limp mode. easiest ways to check the pump if you have confiremed you have fluid is 1. the fluid level will change dip stick ranges from engine running and off, 2. remove one of the transmission cooler lines from the radiator ( while engine is off ) and then start the engine, transmission fluid should spray everywhere while running if the pump is good.
It's people like you that save me. I've been frustrated with my truck for two weeks now due to several issues orginating from one main issue and my brain is just fried. Now that you explain this to me, I sit here and conclude that I should have figured that out myself. Considering I've put 8 transmissions in this truck within 2 months. Working long hours and coming straight to the garage after work is eating brain cells. Yes it's most definitely the pump. I'll check line pressure tomorrow but I do not have any gears and limp mode most certainly will give you 3rd and reverse when electronics go to ****. thanks Rocco

Rocco

Reaction score
No problem buddy and I definitely know how you feel. I come home from working Memphis fire with about 3 hours of sleep and try to do stuff in the shop...after a few mistakes I say screw it and go get some rest with a fresh head.
Iv'e had people call me with what they thought would be a rebuild but I have them explain what's wrong and sometimes it's just a speed sensor not allowing the transmission to shift. I could be like so many others and build it making me money but money doesn't buy me self respect. I like helping , makes me feel good.
Also.. I see you said 8 transmissions, a couple of things. 95 is a 1 year only trans, If you have some power either don't go more than a 2500 stall or get a billet pump rotor next time. The pump rotor is made or pressed metal dust and isn't very strong.

Last edited:

Beefy k1500

Reaction score
I took the pump out and it was destroyed. But I also found out that the torque converter was junk also. So I had the shop I brought them fix me up with a new pump and converter. Put those in tonight and everything is back together. Still don't have **** for movement! The fluid came out clean nothing was broken in the pan at all. I'm lost on where to go next. Could having the pan off got something in the valve body?