No start, no click, no lights - nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
92 Z71. Battery is new from this spring. The truck drove fine yesterday, and then this morning it acts like there's no battery hooked up at all. No interior lights no chime when I turn the key, no clicking. Nothing. The battery is hooked up fine and there no corrosion, at least not at the battery.

There was a funny sound that came from under the dash when I put the key in the ignition, even before I turned it. But there's no sound now.

This is my daily, so I need to get this figured out. I'm assuming is a switch under the dash but I'm not too electrically inclined.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jump start it and take the jump leads off, and check the voltage across the terminals. Should be 13.5-14.4 If the alternator is working properly. Let it run for a little while. You should also check the connection to the alternator, and the ground for the battery

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I once bought a new battery within a month it died.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like the fuseible link, but the only way to find something like this is by testing the supply voltage. You could even do this with a test light. The fusible link is on the wire that goes from the altanator, back to the pos on the battery. If this link burns, you will lose all power, but that is not the only thing that can cause this. If you dont have a test light, you can get one @ most any auto parts store, for maybe $10. There are many videos on you tube that will show you how to use a test light, if you don't know how. I would start @ the battery, and work my way back towards the cab of the truck, but first checking the fuseible link.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RedRabbitZ71

Reaction score
I had this problem myself about a month ago, after swapping batteries, checking starter, alternator and checking all wires we ended up replacing the negative battery wire and its been perfect since.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
I know it may be a lose end, but check the "big fuse", little breaker box on the fan shroud where the positive battery cable is running to the fuse box, might have corroded connection. Check all connections and grounds. I literally got a bunch of 4 gauge wire and re-made every battery cable under the hood on my truck because of this issue. Big fuse looks like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I've been sitting on it since the weather's been so bad. I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well turns out it was nothing more than me killing the battery from the cargo light being left on. So false alarm.

Thanks for your help.