No power to the fuel pump help im at a loss =(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im my 89 i was out driving and it ran great.. came how and parked it and got back in it and it wouldnt start.. i couldnt hear the fuel pump and i wasnt getting gas so i thought hey there is my prob the truck set for awhile so i figure replace it and it would solve my problem. so i went ahead and got a new relay and a fuel pump.. i install them and nothing happens again.. i then get my test light out and im not getting any power to the pump.. i checked the ground by the tank and re did it where i knew it was for sure geting ground. im at a loss here. no idea what to do now and i sold my 95 this weekend and the 96 is down for a motor swap so im vehicleless until i figure this out..

i read on here to bypass the fuse but i cut into the wire a lil bit on t he right handside thats coming out of fuse on the far left under the cover and its getting power..

any help

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the truck getting any fire to the plugs? Should check that out. If the ICM (ignition control modual) in the distributor goes bad it will not put any fuel to the injectors. Now Im not sure if the fuel pump will get power or not though.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the truck getting any fire to the plugs? Should check that out. If the ICM (ignition control modual) in the distributor goes bad it will not put any fuel to the injectors. Now Im not sure if the fuel pump will get power or not though.

yeah im getting fire to my plugs just no power to my fuel pump.. when i tried starting it the last time it started and sputtered then popped really loud and that was it. im really confused on this one.

Reaction score
First things first... When changing a fuel pump test it before you set the tank back up into the truck! Learned that one the hard way lol

But, my brothers truck had a similar issue... turned out to be a faulty connector attached to the sending unit (outside the tank). When you say your not getting power at the pump... do you mean inside the tank or outside the tank?

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First things first... When changing a fuel pump test it before you set the tank back up into the truck! Learned that one the hard way lol

But, my brothers truck had a similar issue... turned out to be a faulty connector attached to the sending unit (outside the tank). When you say your not getting power at the pump... do you mean inside the tank or outside the tank?

i mean to the plug in out side of the tank.. the black connecter that you plug the unit coming from the tank into it has no power getting to it.

Reaction score
Fuse, relay, or wiring!

I'm sure you have checked the fuse... Have you tested the new relay?

Also, not sure how you checked the connector for power. But, make sure to do it up line of the the connector. So it can be taken out of the equation.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Check your fuel filter. I know it sounds stupid, but what happened to me was, I kept blowing those fuel relays. Turns out, my filter was so plugged, it was overworking the pump and blowing the relays. Have you changed your filter in a while? Is it getting power at all? It sounded like you tried to start it, and it got power, then it didn't. That would make me guess it's the relay.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it were me I would run a hot wire temporarily straight from the batt. the power wire at the fuel pump connector, and see if the pump will come on and run that way also see if the truck will start. If it does then at least you have narrowed down the problem somewhat, and you will know that the in tank wiring is working correctly. Also keep in mind that in these truck's the fuel pump power runs through the oil pressure sending unit.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I'd say relay as well. It is always the first thing you should check before swapping pumps. As Draggin stated you might want to run a hot jumper to the pump and try to start it. If it fires right up then it is in the wiring somewhere before the pump. If it doesn't then you might have to pull the tank again.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote for a bad relay. I have worked on a few trucks with the same issue your having I would try running a jumper just like DRAGGIN mention just to make sure