No fuel injector pulse on warm restart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daves88gmc

Reaction score
My truck is a 1988 GMC 1500 5.7 TBI.

Recently my truck has had an issue with restarting when the engine is warm when the duration between stop and start is short (i.e., less than about 10-15 minutes from time truck was turned off). I have narrowed it down to the fuel injectors are not pulsing when trying to restart. If I spray carb cleaner in the intake it will fire up with the carb cleaner and the fuel injectors then pulse as normal. I am able to start the truck this way everytime the issue comes up since it started 3 days ago.

I have checked the following
-Fuel pressure it is normal when the truck is off/on and holds steady with the ignition off.
-Truck is getting spark
-Tested continuity between the computer and the injectors and it is ok
-All grounds are tight and clean (ecm on thermostat, head to firewall, block to frame)

The ECM is about 8 months old, but was a rebuild. It definitely seems to me like something is getting heat soaked and causing the pulse signal not to go out on restart. However I am lost where to look from here and wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas. As I mentioned once carb cleaner is used to start the truck the injectors begin pulsing as normal and the truck runs fine ( no loss of power at speed or when going under full acceleration) and does not stall.

Thanks for any help.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if you fixed it. But the ignition module is your best bet. It will heat up and break contact.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk