No fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would this be the spacer?

The spacer is the aluminum piece b/t the pump and the fan.

I guess my question is if I should...add a clutch while I’m at it if it did come with one but it was just removed ?

If you decide to reinstate the clutch, it appears to me you'll have to get both a clutch and a suitable fan, i.e., a fan that's designed to mount to the clutch; the fan you've got looks to be from an old-school vehicle (e.g., a '66 BelAir) which didn't use a clutch. (Edit: I now see it's a reverse-rotation fan, so it must be from a newer vehicle... perhaps it is the OE fan and perhaps it'll bolt onto a clutch).

If you've got AC and plan to use it, consider getting a proper fan and clutch (OE for that vehicle, or better). Good airflow is a requirement for an AC-equipped vehicle in order to keep the AC condenser functioning well / keep the high-side pressure as low as reasonably possible / enable the AC to work its best.

@L31MaxExpress (and I think others) have experimented with different fan / clutch combinations and they may offer recommendations.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Radiator or condenser?
If does not have a radiator for a/c, replace it. If is correct radiator and shows good flow and no leaks, all good. The condenser flow should also be checked while flushing and check for what comes out during flushing. If has crud in it, may not get it all out, no matter how good you flush it. Please remember, I love to spend OPM.

Last edited:

Olemus14

Reaction score
If does not have a radiator for a/c, replace it. If is correct radiator and shows good flow and no leaks, all good. The condenser flow should also be checked while flushing and check for what comes out during flushing. If has crud in it, may not get it all out, no matter how good you flush it. Please remember, I love to spend OPM>
The radiator seems to be the correct one and is new as they gave me the receipt for it. As for the condenser I was planning on replacing it while fixing the AC since it’s looks beat up. Thanks for the help

Olemus14

Reaction score
If does not have a radiator for a/c, replace it. If is correct radiator and shows good flow and no leaks, all good. The condenser flow should also be checked while flushing and check for what comes out during flushing. If has crud in it, may not get it all out, no matter how good you flush it. Please remember, I love to spend OPM>
Thanks for the help , this helped a lot

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The spacer is the aluminum piece b/t the pump and the fan.

If you decide to reinstate the clutch, it appears to me you'll have to get both a clutch and a suitable fan, i.e., a fan that's designed to mount to the clutch; the fan you've got looks to be from an old-school vehicle (e.g., a '66 BelAir) which didn't use a clutch. (Edit: I now see it's a reverse-rotation fan, so it must be from a newer vehicle... perhaps it is the OE fan and perhaps it'll bolt onto a clutch).

If you've got AC and plan to use it, consider getting a proper fan and clutch (OE for that vehicle, or better). Good airflow is a requirement for an AC-equipped vehicle in order to keep the AC condenser functioning well / keep the high-side pressure as low as reasonably possible / enable the AC to work its best.

@L31MaxExpress (and I think others) have experimented with different fan / clutch combinations and they may offer recommendations.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP on the left, ford (90s) on the right. Fans are similar but appear differnet enough but I cant be sure.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 1994 silverado, to my knowledge, should have a fan clutch with a fan similar to the one you have so it may be the right one but you need the clutch in order to space it and mount it. Which means the through bolts seen above are probably hardware store as to be so long.

So OP as long as you have a shroud you should just need the fan. And based on the difference in tensioner swing, I would verify the travel of the tensioner to ensure its in the center with the belt installed. and tensioned.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
vortec engines should have a plastic fan with more blades (quieter, good flow) and a fan clutch that maybe is the same as yours but i wouldnt bet money on that, so it may need a different clutch too. this is a viable option if you have a junkyard and can find a clutch that isnt leaking and shows no signs of bad wear