No crank, then randomly starts up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1994 TBI 5.7 175k miles. Truck will not start, won't even turn over. The air and radio still come on. The voltage on the dash is where it is usual at. I've tried playing with the connections on the battery, doesn't really change anything. Had it tested, came back bad so i got a new one but its still happening. It eventually starts like nothing is wrong, sometimes on the 3rd turn of the key, sometimes on the 15th. When it does start, it starts right up and doesn't drag, makes me believe its not the starter. Maybe the wiring to the starter? Anyway to test the ignition switch? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's very possible that the wiring on the starter is loose.

Also check your ground, especially from the battery to the block. Even if the ground is bad it can carry plenty to operate the fan, radio etc.

You didn't state if it's a manual or auto but either way you could have a problem with either the neutral safety switch or a linkage adjustment issue.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
As suggested, check the connection at the starter for the big wire coming from the battery to make sure it is tight. Disconnect your negative battery wire first to eliminate fireworks first. If so, remove and clean all power wires and grounds. You'd be amazed at how many problems a wire with a small bit of corrosion can cause.

I recently ran into a similar issue on my truck and it was a loose connection at the starter.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will have to check the connections. When o hear the click, it is when i turn the key to the on postion, when i turn it to crank i do not hear it click. But i dont hear it click when i turn it to crank and it starts. The problem is occuring more often. When it starts, i can start it up back to back just fine.