No brake fluid to rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys i got a 1990 gmc c1500 rcsb and i just finished installing a disc brake kit in the rear but now i realize why my brakes have been garbage. No brake fluid goes to the rear??? Where should i start looking?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check at the rear where the rubber line and metal meet first.. if none there follow the line to the front to make sure nothing happened to it(pinched, hole, rusted out,etc). If all looks good check if it comes outta the combination valve.. if still no check the line for the rear off the master... if still no.... well it's master upgrade time....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The master was actually replaced recently i noticed my proprtional or combination valve idk which it is has the rear pin pushed in, unlike the front i can push freely and it bounces back. Would this have something to do?
You must be registered for see images attach

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there suppose to be abutton there like the front has?

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the button, but I've seen your issue several times (often the brake warning light is on). The prop valve will block the flow to the rear if there is a leak or to high of flow to the rear brakes (not bled before trying to use the brakes). My preferred way to fix it is to suck/vacuum the rear brakes and if the light stays on and I have a good pedal, stomp on the brake pedal to un seat the valve.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The master was actually replaced recently i noticed my proprtional or combination valve idk which it is has the rear pin pushed in, unlike the front i can push freely and it bounces back. Would this have something to do?

Does the pin extend when the brake pedal is pushed? If so, try holding it down so that it doesn't extend (don't push it in) with a flat head screwdriver while pumping the brakes.

That got mine working on my 98 when no fluid was going to the rear, but it's a little different setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well idk which of the steps mentioned got fluid flowing but i still have no brake pressure its SUPER spongy only the front brakes apply

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does the little shop kit come with a new master cylinder? I know the SSBC kit does, and it's proportioned for a disc system, front and rear. I emailed them and asked if their master cylinder was compatible with the factory rear drums and they told me not without an aftermarket prop valve.

I have a feeling that using a disc front/drum rear master cylinder might be what's causing you issues.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it doesnt come with a new master cyclinder. I did the rwal abs bypass/removal mod and it gave ne a little more braking power to the rear so im assuming it was my proportioning valve stuck and not letting fluid flow to the rear. Im going to do a complete brake bleeding today and hopefully that fixes it.