nitto mud grappler question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont really mind the noise but Iv been doing alot of looking and Im really leaning towards the Trail grapplers. They dont look as mean but there still fairly aggresive and seem to fit my needs better. I love to play in the mud and trails but also need it to be my dd and get good mileage outta them. Dont have the money to spend $1,500 a year on tires. So I think trail grapplers it will be!

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if i was in your shoes i would say TG all the way. Got a set of Mud's and they are loud (sounds like a plane taking off) and they seem to have a little wear after only 5,000 miles. The TG's i have ran that i sold to my buddy and he is currently running have 20,000 plus on them and are still in excellent shape. I say go for it!

cturner

Reaction score
I have terragrapplers that seem to be wearing awesome so far (15,000). However, I would not go with the mud grapplers. I know several guys who have them and they are obnoxiously loud, and wear pretty poorly, of course it is a mt.

xtreme.97

Reaction score
i have the mud grapplers and they work great for me. u can't go on hearsay or "i knew a guy that had them..." cuz everybody expects something different out of their tires. i sell tires for a living and get a lot of different reviews on the exact same tire from different people. i drive about 20 miles roundtrip to work and i drive my truck when i take my family out. they are louder than most m/t tires and they don't get 50k miles (maybe 25k or 30k if you're lucky and keep them rotated). from what i've done with them, i had no issue in the mud. they gripped great and cleaned out well. basically, they do what I need them to do. u are not gonna get a smooth, quiet ride for 50k miles on a tire that does well offroad, period. the trail grapplers, from what i've seen, are a good in-between tire. also look at the bfg km2. if u drive a lot or want good mileage out of a tire, i would look more at an all-terrain rather than a mudder. if u want to give some specifics on what you're doing with the truck or what you want out of the tires, i could probly point u in the direction of a few tires that would do what you need them to do...

cturner

Reaction score
i have the mud grapplers and they work great for me. u can't go on hearsay or "i knew a guy that had them..." cuz everybody expects something different out of their tires. i sell tires for a living and get a lot of different reviews on the exact same tire from different people. i drive about 20 miles roundtrip to work and i drive my truck when i take my family out. they are louder than most m/t tires and they don't get 50k miles (maybe 25k or 30k if you're lucky and keep them rotated). from what i've done with them, i had no issue in the mud. they gripped great and cleaned out well. basically, they do what I need them to do. u are not gonna get a smooth, quiet ride for 50k miles on a tire that does well offroad, period. the trail grapplers, from what i've seen, are a good in-between tire. also look at the bfg km2. if u drive a lot or want good mileage out of a tire, i would look more at an all-terrain rather than a mudder. if u want to give some specifics on what you're doing with the truck or what you want out of the tires, i could probly point u in the direction of a few tires that would do what you need them to do...

^^ very well stated

I responded using my interests.. basically 90% street, 10% offroad so a/t's like terragrapplers are a way better tire lol. However, yes my tire would be a terrible choice for an offroader, and I have seen mud grapplers at work and they seem to dig through slop pretty good. So again, its what your using them for. Mileage or mud?

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just something to throw in there if you want a good offroading tire but has great road mannerisms then might also wanna look into the BFG All-Terrain.

Just my $0.02 but they have done great for me in mud, snow and on the road. Take a long time to wear. And are decently priced.

xtreme.97

Reaction score
thanks cturner.

rcman, those are a great recommendation. as far as the doing great in mud part, i get mixed reviews. believe it or not, it actually has a lot to do with where you are in the country. down here in ga, they don't do great in the mud because our "mud" is red clay. it is very thick and sticky and clogs up the tire. in most other areas they do very well in the mud for an a/t and they are a great compromise for a lot of people.

to the op, you have to be honest with yourself when choosing a tire. most guys probably want a super aggressive tire that looks good (i know i do anyways), but thats usually not the most important thing. like turner said, mud or mileage? from what you have said, your wheeling is kinda moderate but you drive it every day so i good a/t or a conservative m/t would be best for you. just off the top of my head, i would look at the a/t tires by bfg, hankook, and nitto. if you just have to have something aggressive, there are a couple of m/ts that would do decent for you if you compromise on the mileage a bit. the bgf km2 and the nitto trail grappler (but they only make it in oddball sizes, usually for 18s or 20s) would get you some decent mileage and aren't too loud. my last recommendation will be sound a little odd, but the yokohama geolander a/ts would work great for you. they are NOT very aggressive looking, but they have actually won a few tire tests in offroad magazines and arent nearly as expensive as all the other tires that have been mentioned. the 2 downfalls are that they aren't that aggressive-looking so you would have to swallow your man-ego a little, and everytime i try to sell a set, they are on backorder when i try to order them. for some reason, they have a high demand but they won't make many. i guess they got lucky with a good design but as a company they are still focused on their car tires. if you can get them, though, i think they would do great for what you need. hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive got the MTZ on my 97 and i love them. ive got 22,000 miles on them and they still have tons of life left. not too loud, not too quiet. Just the right hum where you can deal with it. im buying them once mine wear out.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Just something to throw in there if you want a good offroading tire but has great road mannerisms then might also wanna look into the BFG All-Terrain.

Just my $0.02 but they have done great for me in mud, snow and on the road. Take a long time to wear. And are decently priced.

They last forever but are terrible in mud, sand and wet asphalt. I've had two sets, both sucked compared to every other A/T I used off road.

I had some Mud Grapplers for about 500 miles on an OBS Z71. 305s. Completely miserable on the road. The Trails are far, far better tires all the way around. The Muds cake quick and don't balance for ****(using our Coats 3DB we can never get them below .50 static). The Trails balance with minimal weight, the Dunes also with little weight. Dunes are better on the road. Trails are just plain awesome off road. Again, mileage on the Trails is low, I'll get less than 40k from mine.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mud graps are garbage. worst tire ive ever owned. i can tolerate loud noise and poor street manners too. but if im going to have a tire that sucks on the street, id like it to at least do decent offroad. i liked my 38.5 bias ply ground hawgs better on the street than my 35 mud graps lol. trail grapplers may be better, but i just cant see spending that kind of money on nittos. i rotated mine all the time too so that wasnt the issue like some seem to believe. obviously, u have to rotate tires, but if i spend that kind of money on a good tire, i shouldnt have to rotate them every time i fuel the truck up lol. i'll save the money and buy a set of buckshots if i want to do that and spend half the money