Newbie with a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freeindeed

Reaction score
Hello everyone.....I found this board in desperation, but first I would like to just say that living up here in Western New York where the winters are not kind to any vehicle, but recently I came across a a deal too good to pass up. A 98 GMC SLE extended cab Z71...350..Auto and came with a pro rack....It was a southern truck for sure as it is solid. 140K and runs strong...hardly any rust (radiator support bracket and inside of bed around wheel wells, a little) for just 2 grand....I absolutely love this truck. Plus it gets consistently 18 mpg's, not bad for what it is I guess. Anyway...my dilemma: I have gotten a hold of a decent brush guard to protect the nice front end and grille, from the plentiful and rampant deer around here......BUT....no mounting brackets! grrrr. I have looked all over to find some but come up with nuthin'. I can make them if I have to, but I think if I could find the correct bolt-on frame brackets that I could weld adapters to, I'll be happy. So I don't need to identify the guard, just want to make it bolt on to the frame in case I ever need to pull it off.....You guys have more knowledge about what other brackets would work and/or where to find a pair. This is just the start of some modifications I would like to do. Thanks in advance... Rob

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Welcome! And post some pics please!!

As for the mounts, the best deal would be to find the brush guard's manufacturer and see if they can sell/send you the brackets. Otherwise you will need to fabricate them or start searching the junkyards to see what you can find.

Where abouts in WNY?? I'm in Amherst and have been all over to many of the yards looking for parts for these trucks and my Montes.

Freeindeed

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response ... and advice. I had previously only been looking on-line for any mounts that would fit the frame. I called a few junkyards and found a place by me that may have something but they're not sure what they have will fit, so, I'll go look and may end up buying another guard just for the mounts if I have to. In the mean time, I have a section of 3x3 angle steel a quarter inch thick that should do the trick...........I live in Freedom, dead end road in the sticks just south of Arcade. About an hour from Amherst. I get up your way at times, my son's have lived there on and off over the span of a few years. Yeah, the earlier Montes especially are the cars of choice, I have never had one but did always like their looks. I just met someone the other day with one. I think he was selling it, had parts or was looking for them...My memory is now like a steel sieve instead of the steel trap it used to be.... beginning to suffer the results of that dreaded A. G. E. syndrome.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
LOL!, I know that feeling too. Spent too many brain cells breathing exhaust fumes.

Been through Freedom a few times. Arcade a lot. Any decent pick n pulls by you? Always looking for new places to scrounge. If your ever heading up here, PM me and we can hit a few out here.