New to the site looking for some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OB1993

Reaction score
Got this 1993 GMC about 4 years ago from the original owner's son in AZ. At the time it had 66k miles on it. I moved from AZ to Louisiana for a few years and drove her every day. I am now in Texas and she has just over 105k on here and still going string. Cosmetically the 2 years in Louisiana were not kind to her (I will post pics of current condition mostly paint flaking etc.) but the interior and mechanicals are still good to go. I got a set of factory 16 inch wheels from a later year that I liked and I want to put either 285/75/16 or 315/75/16s on her. Looking for recommendations on which way to go with lift (body or suspension). I have a full shop with a lift and I am an experienced mechanic, but I have never done a lift before so looking for some folks who have done it to weigh in. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Joe

Attachments

• GMC2.jpg
    GMC2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 19
  • GMC9.jpg
    GMC9.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 18

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, my fellow Mechanic Technician. Wow, such a beautiful truck. If it were mine, I would delay lifting it (Rough Country body lift $500.00) because of all the future wear and tear squeaks and rattles that I'm sure you will encounter with the rest of the suspension (Bilstein Shocks $400.00), wheel bearings (Timken $50.00), and alignment headaches ($100.00) and your 285/75/16 Tires should fit nicely without too much undersize fender tire rubbing (watch out for those speed bumps and potholes in Texas). Being that you are a Mechanic, you can appreciate spending your hard-earned funds that you have acquired in fixing up the things it will need both mechanically and cosmetically (such as the missing driver's side lower door trim that I'm sure you are aware of) that you will find in your future inspections of her when she starts showing her age. But she is all yours, and it's your monies to do as you dang, please, so have fun with it.
And the best of luck to you pardner in your final decision, do let us know how it all turns out.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this 1993 GMC about 4 years ago from the original owner's son in AZ. At the time it had 66k miles on it. I moved from AZ to Louisiana for a few years and drove her every day. I am now in Texas and she has just over 105k on here and still going string. Cosmetically the 2 years in Louisiana were not kind to her (I will post pics of current condition mostly paint flaking etc.) but the interior and mechanicals are still good to go. I got a set of factory 16 inch wheels from a later year that I liked and I want to put either 285/75/16 or 315/75/16s on her. Looking for recommendations on which way to go with lift (body or suspension). I have a full shop with a lift and I am an experienced mechanic, but I have never done a lift before so looking for some folks who have done it to weigh in. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Joe
Welcome, nice to see another short box 5sp. Why do you want to lift it? (create more issues) Is Texas going to get another freakish snow event? Have them all the time here. Still taxes me when we get hit hard.

OB1993

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. A few asked why I wanted to lift the truck. I guess I always liked the look of a lifted short bed. I enjoy modifying cars and trucks, but in the case of "Miss Betsy" I just want to do some mild modifications that can be reversed easy enough. I have all the trim and I am looking for some interior pieces etc. I am going to change all the lenses out to freshen it up a bit too. She needs paint now due to living down south but mechanicals first. I may regret lifting it but I know in the end if I do I can put it back to stock fairly easily. She runs and drives fairly well right now, but I will be going through the suspension and she needs tires so I figured now is the time. Thanks again. I really enjoy looking at everyone's amazing trucks and getting inspiration

Joe