New to forum new to chevy new to 89-85 confused!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, My name Mike been called Honda Mike for 15 years now i am trying to build a chevy 4v4 and a 2wd ext cab. i have built many cars before so the mechanical part is no worries but the transmissions are beating my butt! I ran into a weird situation with 4x4 chevy nv3500 and 2wd nv3500 i have read several things but nothing picture wise or write UP wise just lots of dos and don'ts. With that said i talked to an old tranny guy he told me to split the cases slap the 4wd tail on the 2wd and go on. But it does not seem that easy to do since the tail is one piece on the 2wd and the 4wd is alum bell housing then mid section with shifter then xfer case tail housing. I am lost and slightly confused but think i will make a tranny board an go from there does anyone have any clue if this is doable i have both trans out and about and another sm245 granny 3 speed another 95 chevy some kid tells me its obs no idea what that means. Thanks guys for whatever information i can get hope to harass you all on the daily.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. OBS stands for old body style. Common ref for these trucks. I don't fool with auto trans at all. It is just to easy to go to a good tans shop and have it done rite. I have dont trans work in the past, but it is SOOOO easy to mess a trans up, that I just dont want to fool with one. I know I can have my 4L60E in my 97, performance built for less than $2000. Now from what I understand, there is some difference between the 2 WD and the 4X4, but mostly one the tail shaft, and the tail shaft housing. Not 100 percent, but I think the rest of the trans is basically the same.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenny is right. Guts are the same, output shaft and the tail shaft housing are what's different.