new raido

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you install a new raido in a 1996 with out removing the front part of the dash or do you have to remove the front part of the dash and if so how does the front part come out? thanks

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Its easy to disassemble but you do have to take it apart. Drop your steering wheel as low as it will go and turn your key over without cranking the truck to drop the gear select in 1st gear. Then with the help of a flat head screw driver pull the bezel towards you sliding it off the clips, it isn't hard but be cautious not to damage the plastic just take your time working around it. Once the clips are free of the dash you can undo all plugs from the bezel, pull it free of the dash and set it to the side. There you will see the two clips on either side of the radio, depress those and the radio will slide right out.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure your E-Brake is on before you attempt to shut the truck off in 1st.

Its easy to disassemble but you do have to take it apart. Drop your steering wheel as low as it will go and turn your key over without cranking the truck to drop the gear select in 1st gear. Then with the help of a flat head screw driver pull the bezel towards you sliding it off the clips, it isn't hard but be cautious not to damage the plastic just take your time working around it. Once the clips are free of the dash you can undo all plugs from the bezel, pull it free of the dash and set it to the side. There you will see the two clips on either side of the radio, depress those and the radio will slide right out.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Greg, you sound like you have some experience

timhhi

Reaction score
I've taken my dash off more times than i've changed tires.

Haha, me too. Then again, I haven't changed my tires that often. But it really is a simple process. It snaps off semi easily with a flathead. Just don't jerk it, you have to disconnect the wiring harnesses behind it. You can move the steering wheel up and down to make it easier to pull it out.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I've never even needed a flat head, I just start at the corner by the drink holder and I always have enough to grip and slide it right out in any of them I've done.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I've never even needed a flat head, I just start at the corner by the drink holder and I always have enough to grip and slide it right out in any of them I've done.

I mainly use if for the bottom of the bezel between the cup holder and steering column, the rest of mine can be done by hand.