New owner, 2000 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cpherget2

Reaction score
Hello All -

Just paid $7K for this 2000 Z71 with 110,000 miles. About to start ordering parts for the front suspension rebuild but would like to see if someone can clarify whether this is the GMT800 or 400 platform? I’ve heard that even though 2000 is the year for the 800, Z71 Tahoes were built on the 400 platform. Some have also told me to use the 1999 year when ordering parts.

Thanks in advance!
You must be registered for see images attach

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! To answer your question; this is a GMT400 Tahoe.
And I'm in love with it! You can use the 95-98 range for more solid results that are 88-98 specific. I've got a 2000 K3500, so I understand the clusterf_ck of trying to find parts.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a gmt400, but when getting, ordering, parts, ask for parts for a 1998, and you will be golden. Part's people don't understand the difference between a GMT 800, and a GMT 400. All they know, is what is in there data base. GMT 800 was inteoduced in 1999, but GM still made a GMT 400 truck that year, and called it a classic. Also Surburbans, Tahoes, Escalades, Denalis, didn't change over the the GMT 800 platform untill 2001. Most parts people don't know or understand this

Cpherget2

Reaction score
It's a gmt400, but when getting, ordering, parts, ask for parts for a 1998, and you will get golden. Part's people don't understand the difference between a GMT 800, and a GMT 400. All they know, is what is in there data base. GMT 800 was inteoduced in 1999, but GM still made a GMT 400 truck that year, and called it a classic. Also Surburbans, Tahoes, Escalades, Denalis, didn't change over the the GMT 800 platform untill 2001.

Thanks for clarifying my above question!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Why not 1999?
You can use 99; as long as it specifies the 88-98 trucks. I usually just use that range to avoid any sort of confusion, eBay, Summit, and a few other parts outlets show the GMT800/NBS Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons when you're searching under the 99/00 category as well as GMT400/OBS parts

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
99 and 2000 can get squirrelly at the parts store, if the people looking the parts up don't know about GM making 2 different styles of trucks simultaneously. Been there done that,with both my 99 Burbs and my old 90 square body Burb.
Ordering online, should be easier, just watch the details closely. I do that when I get stuff from Rock Auto, and so far so good.
As Kenny mentioned, unless people know these trucks and the 800s and know how different they are, you can have issues. I grew up in a parts store store, back when there were things called catalogs, that you had to know how to read. Modern parts stores, not so much. Unfortunately, not everyone who works in an auto parts store knows a lot about cars( or "old" GM trucks anyway!).

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beware of leaks in the back.

Keep an eye on those barn doors, the weatherstripping around them forms a narrow channel for water to pass as the water makes its way down from the roof along the L&R extreme edge of the barn doors. Too, the weatherstrip doesn't always seal well in that same area so, if presented with a lot of water (think: parked uphill in heavy rain, water runs down the roof into channel along the top of the barn doors, then down along the L&R sides), pressure builds in those narrow channels on either side and water finds its way into the cabin. Too, if the weatherstrip across the top of the doors isn't sealing well, water ingress will occur.

You might want to lift the rear sill just inside the open doors (it's Philips-screwed down) and peek under the carpet to see if it's dry. If not dry, you've definitely got a leak. If dry, you might have a leak but you don't know it yet.

I've had this problem on my 1998 Suburban and diagnosed it with a garden hose (to create a flow of water), and a strip of paper (to see where and how well the weatherstrip was sealing), and a bright flashlight (to actually see the water sneak past the weatherstripping into the cabin).

Advice: Open those barn doors (in fact, ALL doors) and clean away the leaves, needles and any other debris that collects near the weatherstrip and impedes water drainage; doing so will clear the channel through which water needs to flow, and help prevent water from getting in.

$0.02

Welcome to "GMT400 Utility" ownership :)

Last edited:

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Love this truck! I worked as a parts man in the 90s when this was still around, people would look at me like i was a lunatic when i said "Is it square or more rounded?". I got fired for using the spray paint to repaint a 78 Lincoln that I had, I payed for the paint but I guess that "Repainting a 78 Lincoln is FROWNED UPON IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT", I almost bought a Z71 tahoe in 99 new as a 2000. Love the barn doors too, the blind "bar" i dont love.