New, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you didn't turn the engine over at all while it was out you should be able to put it back in the same spot, but if you are starting from scratch, as was mentioned, use a long screwdriver to move the ooil pump driveshaft whatever way it needs to go to get where you want to be.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If you move the distributor in relation to the camshaft, even if the engine does not move, it will not line back up in the slot. The best way i have found to do it is to ease it up, move it one tooth, put it back in, then turn the engine until it will fall into place. Then you can back up to tdc and check your timing.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if its on tdc, move the oil drive shaft where you need it and your set.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Aggravating to try to guess at it sometimes. Different strokes for different folks.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you don't turn the engine over there is no guessing

Jacob454

Reaction score
I just picked it up till the gear released, turned it while pressing down until i felt it catch the next tooth, then bumped the engine a little till it fell in the gear, then bumped it again and it fell all the way in. Does it apprear close in the picture? I got a new set of plug wires coming on tuesday, have to wait till then to try it.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Im not sure, i just did this on my 350 (cam sensor) but i don't remember where it clocked to when it was right.

Jacob454

Reaction score
This was mine with the timing at 0. I almost wonder if my timing chain is a tooth off, bc im hittin one side of the intake or the other, i have no in between it seems.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 9

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cam timing and ignition timing are two different things.

Jacob454

Reaction score
Finally got it back together, runs and sounds great! No misfiring. Gona hook it up to a scanner on friday. Wish i know how to attach a sound file....