New, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob454

Reaction score
I have a 2000 chevy 3500 with a 454 (7.4l) and need help. I have the timing on zero but my cap is twisted to where my #1 plug wire hits the back of my intake. Am i a tooth off? If so, should i just leave it and deal with the spark plug wire? Or should move it a tooth over and readjust the timing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 20

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you still have it apart with access to it, I would move it. if its for sure within the + or - 2* it will be fine, but I would rather get it set for more clearance on the plug wire. did you turn the engine at all when the distributor was out?

Jacob454

Reaction score
if you still have it apart with access to it, I would move it. if its for sure within the + or - 2* it will be fine, but I would rather get it set for more clearance on the plug wire. did you turn the engine at all when the distributor was out?

It was + or - 2 verified by snapon scanner. I had the engine running but hated the way the wire was hitting the intake. I currently have the #1 cyl at tdc on the compression stroke, verified with valve cover off. If i pick it up and move it, should it drop right in? Or will i have to fight it?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
you will have to gently rotate the engine until it will sit all the way down into the oil pump drive shaft

Jacob454

Reaction score
you will have to gently rotate the engine until it will sit all the way down into the oil pump drive shaft

Is there a trick to doing this myself, or do i need another pair of hands to turn the engine?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
just turn it a little, and see if it will push down completely, if not, turn it a little more. It does not have to be perfectly aligned to fall down completely. the rotor will have to be in roughly the same position it was in when you started to make it go all the way back in.

Jacob454

Reaction score
just turn it a little, and see if it will push down completely, if not, turn it a little more. It does not have to be perfectly aligned to fall down completely. the rotor will have to be in roughly the same position it was in when you started to make it go all the way back in.

Thank you, i will try it right now.

Jacob454

Reaction score
Ok, here are my results. I thinks its right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 10

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I never thought of doing it that way. I always stick a long straight screwdriver down in there and try to line up the drive shaft. learn something new every day! ok Im done thread jacking now, continue.
BTW it looks like you got it right now

Jacob454

Reaction score

Ok, back on tdc comp stroke. Now the #8 plugs hits the intake . I know i didnt move it 2 teeth....i hope. Heres my alignement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 10