New Member From Michigan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was stumbling around on the interwebz when I ran across this site. Figured since I just purchased a '94 K1500 extended cab, short box I may as well try to pick up some tips from people with some experience on these trucks.

I'm not a complete novice when it comes to repairs and have a couple of older generation ('77 C10 Chevy, '85 K25 GMC) and found what I thought was a fair deal on the '94.

First major order of business with this 'new to me' purchase is going to be replacing the frame. I noticed before purchase the frame had a few scabs but didn't look all that bad. Not until the small air chisel practically fell thru the 'kick up' section behind the cab....DOH!!

Then using a borrowed needle scaler other areas (holes) were revealed to the point of either selling the truck for parts, attempting to fix the frame, or find a replacement.

So enough of the reason why I'm here.

I'm glad to find the forum for these trucks and I hope to learn and possibly contribute to the discussions.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome and that definitely sounds like some rust, I had a truck from Michigan and man that had some rust issues to. How's the cab an body

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Garrett.

The body needs some of what I call 'typical' metal thrown at it. Cab corners, rockers, front inner and outer fenders, etc.

Around here it's pretty much a given that some metal is going to need replaced. (Not really an issue as I've done 'on the side' body work for almost 40 years.)

Runs and shifts real good (131,*** miles). Drove it an hour to get home with no issues. (Those started AFTER 'poking it with a stick'....LOL.

Was just reading Hutcheh's post on Project Salty after doing a search on boxing the frame in the rear kick up. Thinkin' about doing the same thing in that area.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum! Also from Michigan here.

Don't forget to post some pics!
I think we all grew up with "show and tell" and still like it.

Smitty

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Smitty.

I don't think any pics will be posted for awhile. Truck is sitting out back waiting for the frame to be ready for pick up.

That and the fact I use my garage in the Winter for mainly parking my plow truck ('85 GMC K25) in out of the weather. Not so much for preserving it but to keep the snow and ice off of it.

Don't really enjoy cleaning that stuff off at 1-2 A.M. just to go out to plow....LOL.

Hopefully here pretty soon I'll get a call about the frame so I can go pick it up. Was hoping to haul it last week when it was warmer. Oh well, it ain't gonna be an overnight project so there's really not THAT big of a rush.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
131k miles? Well that's just broken in haha. Shame about the frame though. I wonder if it was used as a plow truck in a previous life. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Not a good time of year for outdoor frame swaps but I have done them in winter before. Plan on new brake and fuel lines while you are there.