New KYB GR2 vs. 75K mile Bilstein shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Today I worked on the front end of my 1-ton. My Bilsteins have about 75K miles on them, so I thought it might be a good idea to replace them. I bought a set of four KYB GR2s from Rockauto. The GR2s are supposed to be KYBs oem replacement grade. When I opened them up, I thought their compression resistance and rebound was a little light, but I figured whatever, they're not high performance shocks. Turns out the 75K mile Bilsteins rebound faster and compress harder than the new KYBs. Maybe the KYBs actually provide more rebound resistance, since they don't pop out so fast, meaning the spring has to do more work? When I pulled the Gabriels off that I had at one time, they had turned to mush. I guess the 50K miles shock life that I've read is typical doesn't apply to Bilsteins.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bilsteins are good stuff for sure!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're super expensive, Though......About $300 now, from what I saw.

Eh, it's all relative. When you compare them to the really fancy stuff like adjustable Konis or QA1s $300 starts sounding a lot more reasonable. The Bilsteins are quite a jump from the cheap stuff like Monroe, etc.