new guy with a fun project!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studbeefcake

Reaction score
Hey guys how's it going? My name is Drew, I have a 91 c1500 that has been in my family for almost 20 years. Its a great truck and has been my personal truck for about 10 years

Recently someone I know totalled their 97 c1500 in a front end collision, I bought it from him and have started stripping parts for mine and selling everything I don't need.

I will start a project thread for the details but for now here are some of my plans.

Use the vortec 350 in my truck, adapted for tbi and sporting full length headers
swap out my 3.42 open diff for the 97s 3.73 limited slip
When I swap the axle I plan on lowering the rear and installing new shocks (the fronts have already been done this week)
Swap the new trucks bed onto mine and eventually paint the entire truck a nice pearl blue

Anyhow I hope to gather some info on here, as well as help some folks out who ,any need some parts as there will be a lot of stuff that I won't need.

P.s I am in central Florida on the gulf coast for anybody that wants to meet up for some parts.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Some one can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe vortec heads have a different angle than TBI heads.

I had to buy a special intake to mate a stock TPI to vortec heads on a (originally) TBI block.

What I'm getting at is that your TBI intake may not fit on a Vortec headed engine.

I could be wrong though, it's been a fairly long time since I messed with 'em.

You're also probably going to have to have a "tuner" recalibrate your TBI to deal with the flow capability of the vortec heads. Cam also if you plan on running the whole vortec engine.

Oh yeah, Welcome.

:)

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I know that you have to have the GMPP TBI to Vortec intake if you're going to run vortec heads, but if you have the entire vortec engine, I've also heard you can just get a Carb intake for Vortec, and put a TB adapter plate on it. You might want to check those options out.

studbeefcake

Reaction score
Yeah I have been researching options on all that. I was hoping for some info from people who have done the swap themselves and what options they went with