new from north jersey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneck98

All the girls wanna ride!
Reaction score
redneckrichie i was talkin about 90chevstepside. i always see him talkin about lifts

redneckrichie

Reaction score
i was going to do it myself at a shop i work at. im learning mechanics now that i have gotten bored of body work and my boss is nice enough to teach me everything on my truck im not sure what gears i have but its all stock thats all i know im sorry and i was thinking of 35's because my friends just put 33's on his truck and they look too small like its about to tip over if i lean against it lol. and everything up front is actually very well intact nothing is really worn surprisingly enough for what i got it for it just will need an allignment very badly because it already needs one now

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Well of you've got an experienced mechanic with you that will definitely help. The install isn't hard, just time consuming really. To find out what fear ratio you have you can look at the RPO codes in the glove box. Here's a list of the gear codes and what they mean

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

HC4 -- AXLE REAR, 4.56 RATIO

If you have 4.10 or 3.73 then you'll be a little under geared for 35's and you won't have as much power but if you have 3.42's, I'd look into regearing.

And if you're lifting soon, just wait on the alignment because you'll need one afterwards

redneckrichie

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense I will check it tomorrow and if I do need to re-gear it what do I have to do and is it a tough job?

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
You'll need a new set of ring and pinion gears for the rear and a set of gears for the front ifs differential. I recommend Yukon brand gears. The best thing to do would be to ask your boss if he knows how to change them. If he doesn't, I'd recommend finding a reputable shop that does bc if gears are installed wrong, it can trash the differentials. Most will say you need the master install kit for the gears but honestly, I put mie into the stock carrier and it worked fine.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!!! Post up some pics of your ride!!! Lot's of great info on our trucks here.