New exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay guys well I got the exhaust put on today. I still need to remove the hitch tomorrow but heres what it looks like. I really like how it looks but the 50 series flowmaster is quiet as hell...im not exaggerating either i had to make sure the guy didnt put my stock muffler back on haha I dont really understand why because my friend has the same muffler on his truck with stock cats and is way louder. Is it because I didnt run tips or what? I didnt want to get the 40 series because I had one on my old truck and it droned like a mother so I went with the 50 this time. I know 50s can be alot louder so what am I missing? Im thinking about just leaving it until redo the exhaust from the engine to the muffler. That would make it louder right?? Heres how it turned out.

You must be registered for see images attach

jriv454

Reaction score
Is it just quieter from inside the cab or out side? I had a 50 series before and I couldn't hear it from the inside at all at freeway speeds but sounded nice on the out side around town.

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its quiet all together. barely can hear a rumble at idle. I know alot of people complain about their exhaust not being loud enough when its really quite loud. But im seriously not joking when I say it sounds pretty much stock. Just looking to get it slightly louder because state troopers around here are total ********* about exhaust tone. Any ideas?

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
my 40 is loud but has a awesome tone and not a lot of cab drone its all on where you place the muffler

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm im thinking maybe get high flow cats? or gut mine. that would make it louder id think. Just dont want to eat the cost of another muffler if I dont have to. Really didnt think the 50 would turn out to be whisper quiet on my truck.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
What kind of muffler did you get. I assume it's a DI/DO just as it was stock? Loud is right. If the muffler isn't put in the right place, you'll get different sounds.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
What kind of muffler did you get. I assume it's a DI/DO just as it was stock? Loud is right. If the muffler isn't put in the right place, you'll get different sounds.

if the muffler is right under the cab it will drown a lot but if its under the body more it wont drone as much at least thats what I've noticed and been told by many people

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Mufflers should be placed as far BACK, or downstream of the engine as possible for optimum performance. 50's are rubbish. Rubbish.