New Exhaust exiting towards back tire and some other little questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Taylor

Reaction score
I just finished installing a fairly budget header back exhaust installation and I have a few minor questions and one major question (the title).

The minor ones,

1. I used u-Bolts, are these going to be ok as far as holding everything together and not leaking? How much should I have torqued them down? When the exhaust comes off it's going to be with a torch so I'm not worried about that, but I would rather not have anything fall off going down the freeway, ya know?

2. I only have one exhaust hanger, it's on the front of the muffler on the crossmember at the back of the cab, the only things after it are the muffler (a magnaflow round muffler approx 6" by 18") and the exit pipe (3/16 3" steel tube, about 18" long total), in front of it I have an intermediate pipe and the cat, and then the y-pipe and the headers. Is that going to be enough? I'm not sure where I would have put another one...

The bigger question,

I didn't plot things out perfectly and while my new muffler is exactly where the stock on was, the pipe after it goes to a side exit, it is a 60* bend from the back of the pipe and the 1' long after the bend which means that the exhaust gases come out perfectly into the middle of the tread of the rear passenger side tire...neat huh? There is about 6" of distance between the end of the pipe and the tire. So, is this OK or will exhaust gases (and the water that comes out when I first start the truck apparently) corrode or excessively heat the tire and cause premature wear? Should I leave it as is or try to find a tip with a 30* bend and carry the exhaust the rest of the way out from underneath the truck?

Thanks folks!