New engine installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Better track down the poor mileage and poor idle. Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream. Seems like it's mainly an "open-loop" problem.

You don't want those new cylinders getting washed-down with excess gasoline, or gasoline vapor due to misfire.

Best thing you can do is to stab the throttle in HIGH GEAR as hard as you can without the trans kicking-down. When the speed gets excessive, take your foot out and let it coast down to your starting speed. Repeat until it stops being fun. Heavy throttle means high cylinder pressure, which forces the rings against the fresh cross-hatch, so the rings seat well. High vacuum brings oil up to wash away the wear particles.
I wouldn't say poor mileage. I averaged 13.71 with the old engine and 12.9 with the new one. I guess that's bad compared to new trucks nowadays. The idle issue is in my in iac or tps I believe. It goes into closed loop several minutes after the idle clears up. Verified by my snap on brick. It also doesn't raise the rpm's when the compressor comes on like before the new engine.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I got my truck (92) a few years back it came with 275k but had a rebuilt trans in it. The kid I got it from spent 2500 to put the trans in and sold it to me a year later for 700... kids! Anyway I got myself a new motor and built it up for the swap... problem is that it runs so good I can’t justify taking it out! I’m at 295 and perfectly happy (me and the truck). So the new motor sits on the engine stand waiting to be called up.
I could have waited as well after tearing mine down

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same engine. I’m pleased with it also. Only issue I have is it rattles on acceleration after reaching operating temperature. And I have a code 32, even after 2 new egr valves.
My egr passages were blocked completely. I would also get code 32 on the old engine. Cleaned it up and haven't gotten that code with the new engine

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Code 32 was two separate issues on my '88.

1. Vacuum hose from nipple on TBI unit branches, one part goes to EGR solenoid, the other part goes to AIR pump diverter. The hard-plastic hose on the AIR solenoid was broken, disabling both the AIR and the EGR. Fixed the vaccum hose, still set Code 32 now and then.

2. Failed EGR valve. Replaced with aftermarket valve, no more 32.