New engine installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try this again. Every time I try to add pictures, it deletes everything I've written!
I've had my new gm crate #12691671 installed for over a month now. I bought it from pace performance for $2910 with a $45 lift fee. Cheapest I found on the net. I looked into local shops here in Phoenix to do the job. But having a bunch of dusty cars with flats in your shop is not a good look! So I did it myself. With only the wife helping to remove and install the hood. I ended up spending about another $700 in parts and supplies along the way, which was expected. Install went great without any issues. The day after I finished I loaded up the truck and trailer with my quad. Headed 200 miles west for the Parker 250 off road race in Parker, AZ. My uncle was entered so I was doing his pitting. I know it's not recommended to put a load on it right away, but it's a chevy right! I did the autopsy on the old engine and it didn't seem bad at all. The cross hatching was still there, but it was slightly low on compression. All the exhaust valves were white except one. Which was prolly the one causing the smoking. I didn't notice any power increase or mileage increase, slightly lower mpg's actually. So the original just needed a freshening up I guess. It does seem to idle like it has a big cam with first start of the day. Revving it clears it up or it'll idle normal after a minute or so. Could be the egr as I replaced it with a known good one. Yes it's a negative back pressure like the original. Overall I'm pleased with it. Looking forward to another 250k miles. I'll add pics after this so I don't get deleted again.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better track down the poor mileage and poor idle. Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream. Seems like it's mainly an "open-loop" problem.

You don't want those new cylinders getting washed-down with excess gasoline, or gasoline vapor due to misfire.

Best thing you can do is to stab the throttle in HIGH GEAR as hard as you can without the trans kicking-down. When the speed gets excessive, take your foot out and let it coast down to your starting speed. Repeat until it stops being fun. Heavy throttle means high cylinder pressure, which forces the rings against the fresh cross-hatch, so the rings seat well. High vacuum brings oil up to wash away the wear particles.

Medic0893

Reaction score
When I got my truck (92) a few years back it came with 275k but had a rebuilt trans in it. The kid I got it from spent 2500 to put the trans in and sold it to me a year later for 700... kids! Anyway I got myself a new motor and built it up for the swap... problem is that it runs so good I can’t justify taking it out! I’m at 295 and perfectly happy (me and the truck). So the new motor sits on the engine stand waiting to be called up.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try this again. Every time I try to add pictures, it deletes everything I've written!
I've had my new gm crate #12691671 installed for over a month now. I bought it from pace performance for $2910 with a $45 lift fee. Cheapest I found on the net. I looked into local shops here in Phoenix to do the job. But having a bunch of dusty cars with flats in your shop is not a good look! So I did it myself. With only the wife helping to remove and install the hood. I ended up spending about another $700 in parts and supplies along the way, which was expected. Install went great without any issues. The day after I finished I loaded up the truck and trailer with my quad. Headed 200 miles west for the Parker 250 off road race in Parker, AZ. My uncle was entered so I was doing his pitting. I know it's not recommended to put a load on it right away, but it's a chevy right! I did the autopsy on the old engine and it didn't seem bad at all. The cross hatching was still there, but it was slightly low on compression. All the exhaust valves were white except one. Which was prolly the one causing the smoking. I didn't notice any power increase or mileage increase, slightly lower mpg's actually. So the original just needed a freshening up I guess. It does seem to idle like it has a big cam with first start of the day. Revving it clears it up or it'll idle normal after a minute or so. Could be the egr as I replaced it with a known good one. Yes it's a negative back pressure like the original. Overall I'm pleased with it. Looking forward to another 250k miles. I'll add pics after this so I don't get deleted again.
I have the same engine. I’m pleased with it also. Only issue I have is it rattles on acceleration after reaching operating temperature. And I have a code 32, even after 2 new egr valves.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I have the same engine. I’m pleased with it also. Only issue I have is it rattles on acceleration after reaching operating temperature. And I have a code 32, even after 2 new egr valves.
Fresh intake manifold? If the EGR passage within the manifold is blocked from caked carbon deposits, it'll set code 32 even though the valve may be functioning properly. My Fireturd did this until I replaced the intake- passages were caked solid.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fresh intake manifold? If the EGR passage within the manifold is blocked from caked carbon deposits, it'll set code 32 even though the valve may be functioning properly. My Fireturd did this until I replaced the intake- passages were caked solid.
Reused but they told me it was clean.