New Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a new dilemma I can build a 383 just short block which is flat tappet cam setup and 2 bolt main for about 1k. or i can buy a brand new gm production short block with roller cam setup and 4 bolt main. What should i do is their really a big strength difference between the two considering my 2 bolt main has held up fine for almost 300k. I want what will last the longest this truck aint going no where. I'm going to be running TBI and i'm not going over 400hp/450tq on the build

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think in the HP level's you are going to be in 2 bolt block would be fine, but I would definitly convert to a roller cam, you will love the difference! Also if you want you could have your 2 bolt main block drilled and taped for splayed four bolt main cap's and they are super strong.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes lot's more torque, we have 1 vehicle with a 400sb and the difference in torque from a 350 is amazing.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
more torque, and after building it right, the motor itself is stronger. You could also see an increase in MPG since the truck wont be working anywhere near as hard