new alternator will it help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Maybe..

When it's got a good clutch, it pretty much free wheels at higher rpm, unless the temp is high enough to warrant the viscous coupling spinning it harder. Idle is a different matter, but people don't normally care about that lol.

Then again, I'm pretty certain E-fans are more effecient per cfm, or you wouldn't see them on rear wheel drive BMW's. Heck, most new beamers have electric oil pumps to reduce drag.

Of course, in OEM applications, you have multispeed control of the efans, sometimes even near linear [\b], as in the case of the BMW's, which means the load is very closely controlled to maximize fuel efficiency.

Dino time! Who is up for it?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Dyno not required.

As a generalization, a locked up clutch fan "consumes" 5-6 hp.

Electric fans only consume a couple.

An alt at full load has more "drag" than one at part load.

Now, cooling is a different story. On a lightly run gasser (ie: daily driver), efans are fine. The biggest ones pull around 3500 cfm. On a hard worked diesel (like my 6.5 towing) efans are har presses to keep up. Cluych driven fans one diesels pull around 10,000 cfm. Thats why you won't find efans on any of the hd diesels from the factory....

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my fans off an Olds intrique. I have a 130 amp alt and it drops from 14.4 to 13.2 with fans , stereo system and HID'S going all at once. The best thing u can do now is the the planned upgrade of the bigger wire. I havent done that yet either.

My truck never got above 140 cause the clutch fan was coming on too soon. E fans are the Best $50 I spent so far.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I got my fans off an Olds intrique. I have a 130 amp alt and it drops from 14.4 to 13.2 with fans , stereo system and HID'S going all at once. The best thing u can do now is the the planned upgrade of the bigger wire. I havent done that yet either.

My truck never got above 140 cause the clutch fan was coming on too soon. E fans are the Best $50 I spent so far.

Do you have a 195 thermo in it, and is it a new GM part?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
My electric fans do 5900 cfm just fyi.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Dual fans.

when I said around 3500 CFM, that's per fan and normally one big fan.

You've got two in your setup so it's pulling roughly 2900 cfm per fan (lower than 3500 due to size requirements to get two in a housing)

It also is dependent on fan size and blade pitch, design, number of blades, etc.

A diesel needs more flow than that if it's going to tow....nearly twice as much.

If you need to pull a lot of air, nothing is going to match and engine driven unit.

:)