new alternator will it help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
I did the 411 pcm swap with 2 16". Efans. Well i kinda assumed id have this problem but my 105 amp alternator is having a hard time keeping up with the demand of the 2 fans plus my HIDs don't help. Cold start up I get 14 volts. When the first fan kicks on I drop to about 12.5-12.9 volts. Well now its getting hot I've been noticing the second fan kicking on which will drop me down to 11.8-12.2 volts and god forbid its night time and I need my head lights. So today I ordered a 200 amp alternator that I found from some company in California that sells parts on eBay. It was only like $119 plus $15 for shipping. To sum it up I'm wondering if you. guys think.it will wprk put much better and be able to support everything better?

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I would be careful, there's a lot of companies out there that make some crappy aftermarket alternators. Check out Excessive Amperage, their's are rock solid. They have a FB page with some comparisons.

Via tapatalk on my Galaxy Tab 2

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
When you put on a high amp alternator, your also going to want to beef up your cables. Your alt to battery cable needs to get much bigger than the stock one, and if you dont already have one, throw a good sized ground cable on the alt too. Don't skimp on the size, or you'll have a fusible link.

heavyjunk

Reaction score
The best way to do this, which is a pipe dream of mine, is to do a dual alternator setup. Two completely different circuts, one battery and alt to run the truck and headlights, the other to run your fans and any other high draw electric devices.

Back to your ?, a true high amp alt should help at least a little bit. Dual batteries might also help so you have more available amps.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing that will help is a smaller alternator pulley. This will allow the alternator to spin faster which really helps out at low speeds.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Another thing that will help is a smaller alternator pulley. This will allow the alternator to spin faster which really helps out at low speeds.

I'll have to pass on that. I just sold my underdrive crank and alternator pulleys. The underdriver alternator pulley kept killing my alternators

heavyjunk

Reaction score
I'll have to pass on that. I just sold my underdrive crank and alternator pulleys. The underdriver alternator pulley kept killing my alternators

Underdrive pulleys are doing the opposite of what you want here. Underdrive is turning your accesories slower. What was probly happening was your alt was never at peak output speed and was being overloaded constantly because of it, thats what was killing your alts.

What Skylark is suggesting will turn your alt faster keeping it at peak output more of the time you are driving. At lower speeds (when you need your fans the most) your engine wont be in the proper rpm range to keep your alternator at its highest output point.

Give that hi-amp alt a try, but make sure you put bigger cables on it, it might work perfect for ya. If you still have trouble after that you'll want to go a little farther.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The best way to do this, which is a pipe dream of mine, is to do a dual alternator setup. Two completely different circuts, one battery and alt to run the truck and headlights, the other to run your fans and any other high draw electric devices.

Back to your ?, a true high amp alt should help at least a little bit. Dual batteries might also help so you have more available amps.

6.5 guys already have an "easy out" on the dual alts.......:)

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Underdrive pulleys are doing the opposite of what you want here. Underdrive is turning your accesories slower. What was probly happening was your alt was never at peak output speed and was being overloaded constantly because of it, thats what was killing your alts.

What Skylark is suggesting will turn your alt faster keeping it at peak output more of the time you are driving. At lower speeds (when you need your fans the most) your engine wont be in the proper rpm range to keep your alternator at its highest output point.

Give that hi-amp alt a try, but make sure you put bigger cables on it, it might work perfect for ya. If you still have trouble after that you'll want to go a little farther.

I had both pulleys