Needing some info and input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBSSierra93

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the forum so not too up to par on how these threads work. I have a 93 Sierra single cab step side. I'm wanting to remove the top two dash speakers in each corner and the ones in the B pillars. I have a couple of Kicker KS 6.5" speakers I'm wanting to mount into my door panels. Windows are electric, not manual. Anyone have any suggestions or advice? Much appreciated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to put new speakers in non-standard locations, just leave the originals in place. It's way too easy to break plastics to remove speakers you aren't replacing.

Since you're upgrading speakers, I suspect you've also got an upgraded head unit, so there's either some wiring splicing going on or maybe even an aftermarket adapter in there, so just run your new speaker wires from that. You'll need to run new wire anyway to reach the door speakers.

Be sure the magnets on the new speakers aren't so deep that they hit the windows when they're down. If so, you may need to buy or make some spacer rings out of MDF to decrease the speaker depth inside the door. Really only an issue with speakers that have huge magnets.

Richard

OBSSierra93

Reaction score
thanks a bunch Richard! the magnets are about 2.5" deep but going to use spacers just in case. the dash is already cracked a bit and the speaker grills on the dash are already pretty loose due to the cracks, so I'm going to just remove them. I am however going to leave the B pillar speakers where they are since they're blown and no sound comes out of them anyway. Thanks again for the info.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, the speaker grilles clip in at the rear (towards the seat) with a clip at each corner, and have tabs in the front that slide in. Almost always the clips will break loose from the grille because they're very lightly plastic-welded on. You can fix it easily with some good glue; I like Devcon Plastic Welder glue because it's really strong but doesn't get brittle. Just be careful wedging anything against the dash to pop the grilles up, because as you can see the dash will break easily, too.

Richard