need some year related info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
okay so per my research 93-94 4l60es are different than 95-98+ years. im told its because of a different connector, if thats true im unsure. question is i have a lead on a few astro s10 transmissions, but what years would work? im gonna be rebuilding it and upgrading it anyhow but id still like to know. my trans is dying slowly, looking to get and engine and trans together so when that time comes im not out of luck.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I have seen so much controversy over this topic, I don't think anyone really knows for sure. If we had some solid facts about this, maybe we could put together a list of what works and what don't.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I have seen 93-94 are the same, 95 is by itself, and 96+ are the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
'95 is the red-headed step-child of GMT400's when it come to transmissions & computer related stuff. It's the OBD 1.5 thing.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
thats all i really know about them so far and thats just our generation truck transmissions for both 2wd and 4wd i havent the slightest clue if the astros/s10s and all those follow suit with the whole tbi/vortec year transmissions and i cant find any supporting info on it.

97 Centurion

Reaction score
My understanding is the 1997 4l60e is year specific. Atleast that is what I was told when ordering a replacement transmission last year.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't run into anything year specific on mine and it's a 98. Possibly the only thing is the connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its the PWM torque converter that is the biggest difference between them. I think (don't hate me if im wrong) a 95 trans can be used in 96+ trucks if you have the right transmission mounted neutral safety switch. I know the internals are the same, but if you have a PWM trans, you have to go back with a PWM trans, or have that tuned out of the computer. I am pretty sure they all can be converted to fit any year, but im not sure what all is involved. The guts are the same, I think any of them can be made to work if you know what you are doing, but i just don't know enough about it to tell you any specifics.