Need some ideas on stereo setup for my truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Hmmm def some good ideas there! I was actually looking at a pioneer head unit that had bluetooth built in and had a color changing display as well as Ipod control. Will prob stop by future shop sometime today to look at it again.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

I absolutely love my Pioneer with Bluetooth/Mini-SD/iPhone control in my Tahoe. Pandora in the car FTW.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I will get the model number next time im there. And prob snap a pic of it for future reference at the same time. One thing i have given some serious thought to is going to a DVD player with a flip up screen..mostly because i tend to find myself on job sites where im stuck sitting in one place over night watching over stuff and watching DVDS to pass the time. Any recommendations of such a deck?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I will get the model number next time im there. And prob snap a pic of it for future reference at the same time. One thing i have given some serious thought to is going to a DVD player with a flip up screen..mostly because i tend to find myself on job sites where im stuck sitting in one place over night watching over stuff and watching DVDS to pass the time. Any recommendations of such a deck?

Not a flip-up, but if you want to go as far as doing a double-din (it can be done in a OBS), my head unit I love so much in my Tahoe is an AVIC X930BT, with all the aforementioned plus nav, life traffic, and back-up cam. Pure awesome. I'm sure Pioneer makes a similarly equipped flip-up, and that sounds like a great option for you.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Instead of a couple of 2ch. amps, I would suggest 1, 4ch amp for the reg. speakers, plus a designated amp for the sub. Too many amps makes it kinda, sorta, difficult when setting up the cross-overs. A 4ch with a 5th channel for a sub can work, too, but I've yet to see one that works well, without costing an arm & a leg.
When building interiors for my customers that are going to install a decent sound system, I like to put down a coating of 'Lizardskin' on the floor all the way up the firewall, & in a GMT400, the back wall, too. I'll follow that up with a layer of 'Fatmat', which works just as well as the name brands, @ 2/3 the price.
About 65-70% of road noise comes through your doors, so I put a layer of the 'Fatmat', on the inside of the outer door skin, with another layer between the inner door & the door panel.
For the ceiling, I've used one layer of the deadener, but I've heard of others putting 2 layers up there. Don't know how that effects the fitment of the headliner.
When the vehicle has this amount of deadener, your system doesn't have to work as hard to fill the interior with sound, or to overcome the road noise. Medium range systems sound will sound great, high end ones will sound amazing.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Instead of a couple of 2ch. amps, I would suggest 1, 4ch amp for the reg. speakers, plus a designated amp for the sub. Too many amps makes it kinda, sorta, difficult when setting up the cross-overs. A 4ch with a 5th channel for a sub can work, too, but I've yet to see one that works well, without costing an arm & a leg.
When building interiors for my customers that are going to install a decent sound system, I like to put down a coating of 'Lizardskin' on the floor all the way up the firewall, & in a GMT400, the back wall, too. I'll follow that up with a layer of 'Fatmat', which works just as well as the name brands, @ 2/3 the price.
About 65-70% of road noise comes through your doors, so I put a layer of the 'Fatmat', on the inside of the outer door skin, with another layer between the inner door & the door panel.
For the ceiling, I've used one layer of the deadener, but I've heard of others putting 2 layers up there. Don't know how that effects the fitment of the headliner.
When the vehicle has this amount of deadener, your system doesn't have to work as hard to fill the interior with sound, or to overcome the road noise. Medium range systems sound will sound great, high end ones will sound amazing.

Thanks for the tips!! I will more then likely apply this info to both of my street driven trucks (The Sierra and Ram) I was not sure which would work better amp wise, 2 2ch and a sub amp or a 4 ch and a sub amp.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

coolman1987us

Reaction score
There are many good head-units available. Its all going to come down to preference and budget. I would recommend a head-unit with at least 4 volt pre-outs, the higher the better. Also as chris said something with multiple inputs, SD, USB, a couple line in's, never know when your gonna add a new source. As far as subs and amps, i know some people are gonna hate me for this but Rockford Rockford Rockford. :D Ive owned 2 each of Rockfords P1's (12") and P2's (12") and also a set of their older power series 12's (back when power was power :D) along with multiple Rockford amps. I have no complaints whatsoever with Rockford, they are a little expensive but you get what you pay for. Right now i have in my Chevy single cab a Rockford punch 201s pushing 2 pioneer trx1000's with no problem. In my Ranger i have 2 12" Rockford p2's in a custom enclosure down firing on a T500-1bd amp. One of the P2's has a small hole in the rubber surround and the other has a crack in the plastic/kevlar cone. They both pound just like the day i bought them despite the damages ive done to my poor subs :D AFAIC they are well worth the money they cost.