Need some help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I just bought my 98 GMC Sierra 3 days ago and the problem I'm having is that some genius had a toolbox in the bed at one time and decided that silicone glue was needed to mount the toolbox. I have tried Brake clean and starting fluid (worth a try?!) in an inconspicuous area with no luck. Does anyone know how I can get this crap off of my paint while leaving the paint on the truck, thanks!!

Last edited:

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the silicone soft or rock hard ?

Sounds like you'll need a 3M Pinstripe Eraser Wheel.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Try WD-40, Spray it on and let it sit for a while (20-30 minute soak), then see if you can lift the edge of the silicone up with a plastic putty knife. Sounds weird but WD-40 works for a lot of different things....

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Thanks i will try the glass cleaner and the wd40 and see if it works.

The silicone is soft to the touch, and I've tried the 3m pinstripe eraser wheel with no luck, but I did chicken out and not press too hard with it. I'll give it another shot and see what happens!!!

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I would hit it with a heat gun to help soften it up even more and then try to scrap it with a putty scraper depending on how much is there