need some help after regear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I put some 4:56s in my rear end yesterday I first ill say its great can't wait to get them broke in and rip on it. But I only did the rear for now in a month or so im gonna do the front. My question is now my abs light is on its co222 code and best I can tell its rf wheel speed sensor. So im quessing its because there's 373s in the front and 4:56 in the rear but I could be way wrong? What you guys think it was fine before the regear.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I'd say your right. The ABS sensors are using the wheel speed sensors and the sensor in the driveshaft to make sure your turning the tires at the same speed, ie not skidding out of control, Since your rear end now has 4.56's the wheel speed sensor and driveshaft readings aren't the same, and when it's sent to the computer....it doesn't match and an error occurs. Hence why the light comes on. May have to try and program to match the 4.56 rears???

Last edited:

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks id say it will go away when I regear the front wouldn't it? I don't think it will hurt anything tell then?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
No, you shouldn't hurt anything running it as is until you do the front. Just an annoying light. Reprogramming it should shut it off. I've never personally done a gear swap. How difficult is it? i've heard you have to get it shimmed correctly or you'll be wasting money. i'd eventually like to go from 3.42's to 4.10's before I put a lift (4") and 35's on it. How much $ we talkin' to do both front and rear?

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its something you have to know about and have the tools I just helped a guy who does them all the time do mine. He can do it in no time because hes done hundreds of gears but its something I wouldn't want to try by myself. Don't know exact prices but id say parts and all hour looking at $600 or a little more per axle. If you want 4:10s just search around junkyards lots of tahoes and yukons had 4:10s stock.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I've been told that swapping gears is not something that should be done if you haven't done it before, or know someone who has. As far as picking up a front and rear axle from the junkyard - Does it matter what year? Obviously it would need to be a 4x4, but other than that anything else special?

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't think so Im not sure but I know the vortec ones for sure had the option for 4:11s and they were posi most the time.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had the same problem with my truck...as soon as i did the gears in the rear about 1/4 mile down the road my abs light came on and has been on ever since....so far it hasnt hurt a thing and i just put over 700 miles on it just this week and about 1500 on it since i did it and no problems yet

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the 3.73's. If you're in 2WD the front gears are not turning.

The issue is that the wheel speed (measured at the front hubs) and the output speed (measured at the rear of the t-case) doesn't match when calculated through the factory set final drive ratio. The computer thinks you're constantly spinning tires.

Pull the bulb or get a tuner/pcm reflash to adjust the final drive ratio to get it to go away.