need insight about vortec misfire asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright my buddy is having hell with his 97 vortec 350 truck. Hea getting a code po300 multiple cylinder missfire and po306 cylinder #6 missdire. He said when truck is cold it runs terrible (can't remember if that's open or closed loop) anyway he pulled cylinder 6 plug it ain't fouled up or nothin he's done fuel filter cap rotor plugs wires pcv a couple sensors anyone have any idea? I know they've had trouble w fuel pumps in this truck and the other day his bro let it get really low on gas. I'm basically vortec retarded so if anyone has theories or atraight up answers please let me know asap! Thank you guys for looking.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
This happened to me about 6 months ago...

Distributor drive gear & the distributor cap were shot. The cap was cracked and the gear was pretty worn down.

Check those then report back aight?

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey! If you guys do pull the dizzy take extreme care as far as location & the way it sat.
It's a real PITA too try to get it in time by hand. A OBDII scan tool that reads cam offset is required.
Just by turning the dizzy won't do diddly-squat.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay. Yeah I text him and he said they replaced it a year ago. How positive are you that it's something going on with the dizzy. Any other possibilities???

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happens in closed loop? Does it get better or worse? Could be several things, but with these trucks you need to know your fuel pressure, as a lot of issues associated with the Vortec engines are fuel related (CSFI unit, injector poppets, pressure regulator, pump) as well as what the CTS and MAF are reading. Need input!

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
In my situation with the P0300 it was cap/gear. I'll post a pic as soon as I get back from Spokane (6hrs)
After that I got P0430 (clogged cats)

I never saw a code for one specific cylinder though, which leads me to believe it's a clogged poppet injector (as earlier stated).

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check his plugs...make sure he's not using bosch rapidfire's or some ****.
Caused a P0305 in mine twice a week. Changed to AC...nothing since.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you said he 'replaced it' meaning he replaced the whole distributor, or just the cap/rotor? the vortecs can knife-edge the distributor gear causing slop, which leads to misfires, espeically the p0300s. if he replaced the whole distributor than its VERY likely that he did not set it correctly because as was stated earlier, you have to have a proper scanner that reads the cam offset retard in real time, trying to adjust it with a timing light will not do anything. many people are unaware of that, not to mention that the dist. position is VERY sensitive, and even tightening down the dist. hold down can move it enough to put it out of spec.

not to mention that the damn vortec distributor is made of plastic and the hold down screws are known to strip or crack on the distributor body causing poor seating of the distributor cap. I had a situation where that caused a no-start issue with my truck when I had a distributor.

other than that we need to know what fuel pressure he's getting with key on engine off, as well as idling at least. FP during a short drive would be helpful too. he should also watch the fuel pressure after turning the key off and see how long it takes the system pressure to fall. we also need to know if the problem changes when the engine warms up or not.

type of plug info would be good too.

it could also be EGR related because when they get gunked up the valve can sometimes stick open causing issues, are the problems constantly happening, or is it only at idle? if it gets MUCH better above ~2k rpm, then the EGR may be an issue, but if the problems remain at higher RPM, then its less likely the EGR is involved.

has he checked cylinder leakdown or pressure by any chance?

has he done any modifications to the motor?

unfortunately a P0300 is sometimes VERY hard to track down, I've seen it caused by any of the things mentioned above, I've even seen a bad ground wiring problem cause it.