Need help with transmission/speedo wiring.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truck is an '89 2500 with a 5.7 with what is supposed to be a 700r4. There is a wiring connector on the back of the transmission on the driver side with what looks to be around 7 wires in it. The speedo quit working but the odometer still works. At some point something has hit the connector and crushed it. Could this cause the speedo to quit and the odometer to keep working? Is there a wiring diagram around for this connector?

On another trans related note. If this trans isn't electronic, why no cables on it except what I think is a kick down cable? Do these transmission not have a lock up torque converter?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
There should be a square 4 pin connector on the driver's side above the pan gasket. That is for the lockup.

The speedometer sensor must be working because the odometer wouldn't work without the sensor.

I am not very familiar with the 89 gauges. I believe there is something in the cluster that buffers the signal.

I think the problem might be in the cluster. For now use a gps speedometer on your phone until somebody who knows more chimes in!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another trans related note. If this trans isn't electronic, why no cables on it except what I think is a kick down cable? Do these transmission not have a lock up torque converter?
On a 700R4, one of the wires on the 4-pin wiring connector carries the current to the torque converter clutch. It's electrically activated. Also, that's not a kickdown cable, that's a throttle valve cable, and you must adjust it correctly or you'll burn up your transmission.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be a square 4 pin connector on the driver's side above the pan gasket. That is for the lockup.

The speedometer sensor must be working because the odometer wouldn't work without the sensor.

I am not very familiar with the 89 gauges. I believe there is something in the cluster that buffers the signal.

I think the problem might be in the cluster. For now use a gps speedometer on your phone until somebody who knows more chimes in!

On a 700R4, one of the wires on the 4-pin wiring connector carries the current to the torque converter clutch. It's electrically activated. Also, that's not a kickdown cable, that's a throttle valve cable, and you must adjust it correctly or you'll burn up your transmission.

Thanks you guys. No transmission problems but the odometer quit work on my son last night. I may have to install another cluster. I'll look around to see if I can find repair info and try to keep the OE cluster.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the VSS sends the signal to the VSSB signal converter on the back of the cluster, there's no separate DRAC on 88-91 clusters. I had the opposite happen to me, the odometer quit but the speedometer worked. It was in the cluster, I went with a Dakota Digital gauge set. Scroll down to the bottom to see options for your 89.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the VSS sends the signal to the VSSB signal converter on the back of the cluster, there's no separate DRAC on 88-91 clusters. I had the opposite happen to me, the odometer quit but the speedometer worked. It was in the cluster, I went with a Dakota Digital gauge set. Scroll down to the bottom to see options for your 89.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1988 K1500 ('89 probably the same.)

VSS signal goes to instrument cluster. Bigass integrated circuit assembly modifies the signal, sends it to speedo, odo, cruise, ABS, and computer. If the cruise or ABS still works, if the computer still has a vehicle speed input, you've got a problem with the speedo and/or the odo, not the instrument cluster itself.

My truck had the opposite problem--speedo, odo, cruise, ABS, and computer all lost their signal and quit working, all at the same time. I had to replace the instrument cluster to get a functional bigass integrated circuit assembly.

Mathies

Reaction score
1988 K1500 ('89 probably the same.)

VSS signal goes to instrument cluster. Bigass integrated circuit assembly modifies the signal, sends it to speedo, odo, cruise, ABS, and computer. If the cruise or ABS still works, if the computer still has a vehicle speed input, you've got a problem with the speedo and/or the odo, not the instrument cluster itself.

My truck had the opposite problem--speedo, odo, cruise, ABS, and computer all lost their signal and quit working, all at the same time. I had to replace the instrument cluster to get a functional bigass integrated circuit assembly.
When this happenend did the truck start?

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to be aware of with the '88-'91 clusters. The circuitry of the cluster is specific to a rear end gear/tire size for correct speedometer reading. You can just replace the speedometer head itself without changing the rest of the cluster. This is one I have sitting on a shelf. It's a simple plug-n-play after you take the cluster face off of the cluster body

Attachments

• DSCN0691.JPG
    DSCN0691.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0692.JPG
    DSCN0692.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 4

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked at the dates on the first posts. Don't think we're gonna get a response after two years passage