Need Help on D60 (SAS'd K3500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000K3500

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a little help here...the steering arm on my truck is worn out, but I don't know where to get new one. The truck had already been axle swapped when I bought it; it's a High Pinion Ball Joint D60, so more than likely came out of a 99-07 F*rd. It has been converted to crossover steering, and I have tried to find what kit was used, but so far to no avail. If any of y'all could identify what brand the arm is, that would be great! If I can't find the same arm, is there any reason why I couldn't use a different arm, say an ORD one or something? Thanks in advance.

Paul
You must be registered for see images attach

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I don't see how it can wear out, unless something was terribly loose. That being said, you should be able to swap it with another, regardless of who made it. You will have to do an alignment afterwards.

2000K3500

Reaction score
There's a lot of play in it, despite the three bolts being tight - you can grab it and wiggle it around. I might have to go with a different arm if I can't find this exact one, in which case I had already planned on getting it realigned.

2000K3500

Reaction score
I haven't seen one, but that's not to say there isn't one somewhere that's covered up or something...I really don't want to tear it apart until I have the new part(s).

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Steering arms themselves do not wear out. Its a chunk of steel bolted to the knuckle. There will be no number "cast" on the thing. Steering arms are typically CNC milled. Typically the Dana60 ball joint axles have to be machined for a steering arm if I remember correctly thus you may not be able to use any old steering arm. It may be machined to fit that particular arm. Personally that setup pictured does not look like a very good setup anyway. Id want more holding that arm on. Check out Sky for their options http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FORD-CSKBJ-97

2000K3500

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Smith...I'm seriously considering them and really like the looks of their's over what is currently on the truck. Only problem is the down time, ahhhhh!! You said that the steering arms themselves do not wear out, so what does? Do the holes get wallered out or what? What do I do to prevent this happening in the future?

Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Smith...I'm seriously considering them and really like the looks of their's over what is currently on the truck. Only problem is the down time, ahhhhh!! You said that the steering arms themselves do not wear out, so what does? Do the holes get wallered out or what? What do I do to prevent this happening in the future?

My guess is the holes are getting rounded out from improper tolerances or being improperly installed. A properly made and installed steering arm should have no wear points. It should be bolted down solid and never come loose. If you get your Knuckle machined and install your new arm properly, then it should never wear out. Personally if your steering arm is loose, I would be leary of driving the truck. A little bit of down time is far better than permanent downtime due to a wreck that totals the vehicle or hurts someone. You could always find another set of knuckles and send them in to be machined and swap them with your current one in an afternoon but of course that would cost you more

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
How thick is that arm? Stock steering arms on older solid axles have tapered cones, studs and nuts. It may not have any tapered cones to lock it in place under those socket head cap screws.

I know that usually it is a huge pain in the rear to remove a steering arm in order to put a taller on on for a lifted truck.

2000K3500

Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to reply; last couple days have been pretty busy. The arm is right at 1" thick. Here is another picture take more from the front and level with the arm. As of now, Sky Manufacturing (recommended by Smith) seems to be the best option, and I'll probably end up going that route.