NEED HELP. NO POWER STEERING AFTER EVO REMOVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regulator Red

Reaction score
Okay peeps, I have reached my wits end here.
I have a 2000 c3500 with a 5.7/ hydroboost p.s. system.
The power steering sprung a big leak and I found that it was the EVO/TFE Actuator that is located at the bottom of the power steering pump. After calling around, I found that GM had a kit that eliminates the EVO all together and replaces it with a simple bypass line. I bought it and put it on and now the power steering is completely inoperative. No noise, no bubbles, no churning, no nothing. It's as if the pump isn't turning at all. The belt is on and turning the pump just fine. I never let it run completely out of fluid and it had power steering when I pulled it into the driveway to perform the repair. How could swapping this part cause complete failure. Has anyone ever done this swap and is there any "trick" here? Also, has anyone ever seen a pump completely go "belly up" from one minute to another? I just replaced this pump before winter and like I said, it was working just fine until I put on this bypass line.
Red

Regulator Red

Reaction score
There is air in the system, but there is absolutely no noise coming from the pump as you would expect when air is in the system. there's also no churning of the fluid that you would also expect. And the line is brand new/ no pinch/ no blockage.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If there's no churning of the fluid at all, sounds like your pump shaft broke. Seems to be very common on the Vortec-era pumps for some reason. The bearing in the front of the pump will still support the broken shaft and let the belt spin the pulley, but zero pump action happening.

Richard

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen many pumps shear the shaft with no warning. Hell I had one when I took the belt off the pulley and shaft fell out the pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Regulator Red

Reaction score
Okay, I'll change the pump. This will be the third one since Feb/13. I wish I could just find a good one. ac delco reman is what's on there now. At least it's under warranty. Any better ones that ya'll know of?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It really does sound like the pump shaft snapped. They don't give any warning. Take a pry bar and see if you can move the pulley outwards from the pump. if it moves more than a 1/8" then you have a problem, take the belt off and it will probably fall out.

Regulator Red

Reaction score
thanks peeps. I put a brand new pump from ac delco and it never made a peep. running tough now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk