Need Help ASAP. Crush washer from lower Intake Gasket...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys,

This one sucks balls and I'm stuck right now. I was replacing the intake gasket because it was leaking on my 2000 7.4l chevy.

Well, right as I was removing the intake manifold, a piece of it towards the back was stuck on and the crush washer fell into the pan and started rolling right down to the flippin' distributor hole. I attempted to grab it but was too slow as I was holding the manifold.

Well, I thought it'd be right next to the distributor but it was not and I can' locate it. I attempted to look with a flashlight and an extendable magnet. Also used a pick to try to feel around. It's pretty confined area to see and get anything down by the distributor and camshaft, so now I'm stuck.

Thinking about buying an inspection camera but do you guys have any other ideas? Could that washer have gone deeper than by the distributor? It seemed fairly large and thick.

Ugh!
You must be registered for see images attach

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull up the lifter valley cover and have a look. It's probably sitting in the pan.

Thank for the reply. I did, I still can't see it. Since it rolled towards the back I assume it's in the rear section of the engine. I'm wondering if it could fit somewhere lower in the pan or get down deeper anywhere? I have a scope coming on Friday but am kind of PO'd.

Reaction score
I'd scope it. Or try to flush it into the pan with copious amounts of oil. Unless it is stuck around the dizzy/cam gear its a straight shot down to the pan.... unless you have a windage tray and a 2000 7.4l should.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd scope it. Or try to flush it into the pan with copious amounts of oil. Unless it is stuck around the dizzy/cam gear its a straight shot down to the pan.... unless you have a windage tray and a 2000 7.4l should.

Thanks, I'll check and confirm if these actually do have a windage tray. Hopefully it's not lodged on that tray! Do you happen to know where the hole is down to the pan?

Reaction score
If it wasn't laying there under the windage tray and it did fall down the hole there is a little casting boss that holds the oil pump shaft that makes a nice place for the washer to sit. get on top of the motor and look down in you'll probably see it. or use your cellular phone camera.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it wasn't laying there under the windage tray and it did fall down the hole there is a little casting boss that holds the oil pump shaft that makes a nice place for the washer to sit. get on top of the motor and look down in you'll probably see it. or use your cellular phone camera.

Yeah, I was on top of it for about two hours yesterday looking straight down by the distributor hole. Is that the area you're talking about? There is no visual on it sitting next to the cam or by the hole of the distributor. It seemed like there was some sort of indent on the left side of the distributor hole but could not feel anything with the pick. I am hoping it is just laying flat somewhere where the scope can get it.

The truck was sitting at a slight angle in my driveway, so I don't think it went towards the front of the engine.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel your pain, and can offer little insight, but I'm doing that same job in the next couple months and this will give me something to watch out for....

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel your pain, and can offer little insight, but I'm doing that same job in the next couple months and this will give me something to watch out for....

Yep, everything was smooth till that point. I'd recommend lubricating everything a couple days before hand. None of my bolts were hard to get off. Maybe another helper to remove the lower intake manifold!