Need Help ASAP. Crush washer from lower Intake Gasket...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You sure it went down the hole... check the top of the transmission casing and around where the wore looms rest on top of the trans too. And check on the ground and on the underside of the truck... lots of places it could have gotten stuck besides down the dizzy hole....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You sure it went down the hole... check the top of the transmission casing and around where the wore looms rest on top of the trans too. And check on the ground and on the underside of the truck... lots of places it could have gotten stuck besides down the dizzy hole....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's hard to see in the picture but the pan is lower than the block behind it and it didn't jump up. I pretty much watched it roll straight down towards that area. Once I took the manifold off, I looked towards the back of the pan. Only area was down that damn hole or under the pan.

Although, I did think my eyes might be playing tricks on me so I did check the top of the tranny, on the floor, or every other place near there.

I'll just need to wait until Friday/Saturday and hope the scope I bought is good enough to see all around that area.

I do appreciate all the help and suggestions.

Reaction score
like i said before i would flush it down with oil, turn it by hand to check for binding, then button er up and let it eat. you would be suprised the **** you find in peoples oil pans.... wrenches, pieces of pistons etc.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, didn't find the washer with the $7 inspection camera near the distributor gear and camshaft. It was hard to see anything in the oil pan except for the oil pump screen. Flushed down about 5 gallons of the cheapest oil I could find. The washer will not fit through the oil drain plug but hopefully it's down there. I turned the engine quite a bit and didn't hear anything fall into the pan, but there was no binding.

I'm going to start putting the damn thing back together and debate about pulling the oil pan. I need more time in my life!

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ditto on checking around the wireharnesses and bellhousjng. Too many times I've ripped apart things to find a lost bolt, socket, or wrench unecessarily. I'd make that my last resort.

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I just got everything back together but the truck was slow to start and now just the starter is clicking. Pretty sure I put the damn dizzy in wrong. I'm beat. We'll see when I get another moment to check TDC and try to get things in correctly. FML

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, advanced the timing with the distributor and the truck sounded wonderful. Drove around for 20 miles and checked everything again. No leaks or issues with the mysterious washer. I will eventually pull the pan. In the meantime I added a couple of magnets by the drain plug in case the washer ends up near there. Hopefully that's the end of this debacle as the truck is running the smoothest it ever has since I've owned it.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the crush gasket used for in the lower manifold? is it to line up the lower gaskets with the lower manifold ?
I am going to do the job this weekend ,any help or pictures would be great.thanks in advance

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the crush gasket used for in the lower manifold? is it to line up the lower gaskets with the lower manifold ?
I am going to do the job this weekend ,any help or pictures would be great.thanks in advance

The crush-washer is attached to the plastic gasket for the lower intake manifold so that it does not get ruined when your torque down the manifold. Mine was so badly deteriorated in some places it was literally falling apart. I hear this is more common in areas that have ethanol in their gasoline. Here is California, that's all you can get now.

You must be registered for see images attach

There is a good step by step tutorial on this site to review: HERE. Granted, it may not be specific to your truck. I didn't take much pictures. As I recommended before, spray some lubricant on all bolts in advance to make the job easier. Also, change the distributor cap and rotor, fuel regulator, the vacuum line from the fuel regulator, and possibly the injectors if they are leaking or are giving you problems.