Need Help 1992 Silverado 4.3 code 44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe1234asdf

Reaction score
Thanks for having me and reading this thread.

I have a 1992 silverado C1500 with the 4.3. It has 89k on the odometer. I noticed a check engine light that would come on after the truck warmed up last week. I have not noticed any performance issues. After reading online I thought it might be a O2 sensor. This morning I took it to autozone to have the code read. They shorted the OB1 port to read a code 44. Since they could not tell whether the left bank O2 sensor was a one pin or three pin I left planning to work on this later.

Truck ran fine on the way home no check engine light.

Came out to the truck a few hours later and would not turn over. Key in ignition interior lights are slow to come on and door chime is muted. Flashing check gauges on and flashing service engine soon. Truck acts like it is trying to read code since flashing is irregular.

I disconnected the battery to see if that would clear the system. After hooking it up it acts like the battery is dead. Could having the code read have killed my battery?

If anyone has any ideas about this I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!!!