Need fuel pump help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cartman372

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I'm trying to get my tank down so I can replace the fuel pump/sending unit, but i can't get the fuel lines off the unit to get the tank down! I have the special tool to remove the lines, but I cant get it to clamp over the metal line to disconnect the rubber line. WTF

Sorry it's blurry, but its the best I can do;

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
If that is the top of the sending unit (that is what it looks like to me) maybe you could bend the line out of the way enough to get the tool on.

Cartman372

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is the top of the sending unit (that is what it looks like to me) maybe you could bend the line out of the way enough to get the tool on.

That is the top of the sending unit, but the line isn't long enough to bend, the picture makes it look long, but it's very short.

Cartman372

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
could you disconnect it from the other side of the rubber line?

Not really. The other end of it is inside the frame rail and the fuel tank is covering that side of the frame. I can't see it or get a tool there to try to disconnect it.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
if I understand correctly you're replacing the whole in-tank pump assembly? if so can you just cut the line extentions off of the pump before it connects to the actual line and then disconnect whats left with the whole pump out of the way?

Cartman372

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if I understand correctly you're replacing the whole in-tank pump assembly? if so can you just cut the line extentions off of the pump before it connects to the actual line and then disconnect whats left with the whole pump out of the way?

I suppose I could, but then I would have to get new lines from the metal ending on the inside of the frame rail, to the top of the sending unit.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
ok, what if you just cut them off at the top of the sending unit? or is it all one line from the metal lines straight into the sending unit?

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I think he means cutting it off the sending unit and disconnecting the stub from the rubber line.

i'm too slow