Need engine experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edahall

Reaction score
I've got a 1999 Tahoe with a bad engine. When I opened the engine up, I found that the pistons and rods were broken on the front 2 cylinders (cylinder 1 & 2). The previous owner said that the engine blew up (with a loud bang) while starting it in the morning in his driveway. The block is toast so I'm thinking about buying a used short block.

However, I did a visual inspection of the heads and while I did not find any cracks between the valve seats (like I was expecting), I found this crack shown in the picture. The crack is in a different cylinder than the ones that had broken pistons and rods. Could a crack like this leak water into the cylinder? Do you think this is what blew the engine up? Do I need new heads or can these be repaired?

You must be registered for see images attach

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yes that crack can leak. I wouldn't suggest trying to repair those heads at all. Just get a used set of heads from a salvage yard and have a shop (or yourself if you can) freshen the heads up.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
is that the valve recessed into the valve seat area???? hard to tell what i am looking at in that picture other than the crack, cracks can be fixed but not worth it as most of the time it would be cheaper for new heads

Edahall

Reaction score
is that the valve recessed into the valve seat area???? hard to tell what i am looking at in that picture other than the crack, cracks can be fixed but not worth it as most of the time it would be cheaper for new heads

No, it's not recessed. But it looks like that due to the way the light is shining at it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yeah, as Ken an I both said, it would probably be better to get a used set of heads.

Edahall

Reaction score
Bummer, it looks like there is nothing good on this engine except maybe 1 head.

There is a junkyard nearby that sells used short blocks for $150 and $150 for each head that has been magnafluxed. That comes out to $450. Not sure if I want to put that kind of money into this vehicle.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If there's nothing salvageable on the engine, and you don't want to spend $450 on the thing, then your best best is to take it to that same salvage yard. There's no way with a destroyed block and bad heads that you're gonna make something happen for under $450.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you can't get a complete motor for less than that, but I know prices can be vary a great deal regionally. The guys are right though, that engine is a goner. You should be able to get a few bucks for it as scrap, or just save your money and wait for a used motor to come along on Craigslist.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Bummer, it looks like there is nothing good on this engine except maybe 1 head.

There is a junkyard nearby that sells used short blocks for $150 and $150 for each head that has been magnafluxed. That comes out to $450. Not sure if I want to put that kind of money into this vehicle.

i wouldnt think twice about spending the money to have a decent hoe, that is cheaper than one months payment on a new truck