Need Advice on Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spack9

Reaction score
1996 K1500 Z71 with pushbutton 4x4

I know the axle bearings are bad due to slight grinding felt through floorboard and roaring. I suspected hub bearing changed one and found the afflicted bearing on the front diff. Makes noise when spinning tire on jacks. Both sides have a considerable amount of up and down play plus seeping seals. I am torn between just trying to do those bearings and seals or replacing the whole front diff. It has not been ran dry and no bad noises that I can pinpoint from the gears. So my question is do I change bearing and seals and roll the dice, or buy a used diff? If anyone has this problem please feel free to give me some feedback. Thanks

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find bearings and seals alot easier, and you have an idea about the history on the diff, but I've had problems with doing that on an Avalanche and a few weeks later the whole thing went... so I have no advice other then make sure the seals and bearings are the same ones you take out.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you'd be rolling the dice just as much with a used diff. Not a alot of low mileage 20 yr. old parts out there.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Spack9

Reaction score
You make a very good point, I will just do bearings and seals. If it grenades I will have it rebuilt thanks fellas.