Need a new radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes and no, Kenwood has a couple dozen different harnesses. Should come with one and you get the harness that plugs into your truck and solder and heat shrink the connections. I couldn't find one that was pre-built when I installed my Kenwood. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just couldn't find it.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Solder and heat shrink is a good idea. I always just used electrical tape. I I taped it real tight and the use little zip ties kinda tighten everything up make it neat. Worked really well but I may have to get my hands on a soldering gun and do that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes and no, Kenwood has a couple dozen different harnesses. Should come with one and you get the harness that plugs into your truck and solder and heat shrink the connections. I couldn't find one that was pre-built when I installed my Kenwood. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just couldn't find it.

I was referring to the vehicle side of the harness, not the head unit side. Considering he's installed an aftermarket unit there should be one in there already unless he chopped the plug off and spliced in directly.

Solder and heat shrink is a good idea. I always just used electrical tape. I I taped it real tight and the use little zip ties kinda tighten everything up make it neat.

This is a very bad idea. At the very least use some insulated crimp connectors. These heat shrink/solder connectors are great and you can melt them in place with a heat gun or even just a lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCNTZ2Z

https://www.amazon.com/95-05-Chevy-...424------------1-1&vehicleName=1997+GMC+C1500
Looks pretty good if you want some modern amenities and retain a factory look.

If you have no plans to add any external amps or subs one of these would probably be a great option.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The big advantage to another single DIN Kenwood would be that you could most likely just plug it into the existing harness. Presumably you adapted the Kenwood plug to the truck harness the first time around so all you should need to do would be to unplug the old head unit and plug in the new one.

I would sure do it that way before butchering the dash.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went through that same exercise on double DIN. Bought a Kenwood Exelon KDC-X998 CD receiver from Crutchfield with the install kit. Even came with a wireless remote. Very happy.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was referring to the vehicle side of the harness, not the head unit side. Considering he's installed an aftermarket unit there should be one in there already unless he chopped the plug off and spliced in directly.

This is a very bad idea. At the very least use some insulated crimp connectors. These heat shrink/solder connectors are great and you can melt them in place with a heat gun or even just a lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCNTZ2Z

If you have no plans to add any external amps or subs one of these would probably be a great option.
Oh I see what your saying about the harness, not sure why solder she heart shrink is a bad idea, would you mind expanding on that? Solder has less resistance than crimp connectors, and less chance of a loose connection, so don't see how that's a better option.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
not sure why solder she heart shrink is a bad idea, would you mind expanding on that? Solder has less resistance than crimp connectors, and less chance of a loose connection, so don't see how that's a better option.

No, solder and heat shrink is fine. I was referring to where he said he hooked the last one up with electrical tape. Might have just been the way it was worded, but it sounded like he just spun the wires together and taped them up.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, solder and heat shrink is fine. I was referring to where he said he hooked the last one up with electrical tape. Might have just been the way it was worded, but it sounded like he just spun the wires together and taped them up.
Got it, glad I cleared that up, thought I was doing something wrong lol.