name that clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i will be pulling the cover later this week to look into it more

the loud clank hasnt been there tht whole time...just the lil bit of the slip yoke noise but lately its gotten worse

the pinion shim is the same one off the old pinion and put onto the new one before the bearing was pressed on

the only thing that puzzles me is that it only makes the noise when you first shift, doesnt make any kinda noise driving down the road, doesnt bang around or anything while driving

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull it apart and check your back lash for ***** an grins... if it was a U-jount it would back a ting or pop sound not a clunk

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull it apart and check your back lash for ***** an grins... if it was a U-jount it would back a ting or pop sound not a clunk

My old k5 would clunk everytime i put it in gear, then the yoke on the drive shaft broke, that was the clunking.

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
14B U-joint info:

Universal joints:
Swapping a 14 bolt in place of a 10 bolt can get a little tricky to some because of the possible need for a conversion U joint. All 14 bolts that i have seen, both SF and FF, use a Spicer 1350 U joint. With this said, GM doesn't commonly use a Spicer 1350 joint on 1/2 ton trucks, most commonly they use a Saginaw S44 joint. I have however seen Spicer 1310 joints, and the occasional Spicer 1330.

Obtaining a positive ID on the joint isn't hard at all, just pull the joint, and measure it. If by chance you have stock U joints, you'll have to take a torch, and heat the caps up until all of the nylon melts out of the driveshaft and oozes out of the holes. Rather than using a retainer clip like the replacement joints do, GM uses an injected nylon retainer. Now that you've got the U joint out, you can measure it and see what it actually is. Here are the specs of the 4 above joints:

Saginaw S44: Cap diameter- 1.125", Lockup - Internal (clips inside the yoke) 2.556"
Spicer 1310: Cap diameter - 1.063", Lockup - External (clips outside the yoke) 3.219"
Spicer 1330: Cap diameter - 1.063", lockup - External 3.622"
Spicer 1350: Cap diameter - 1.188", Lockup - External 3.622"

Now that you have determined the stock U joint, you can find which conversion joint you need:

Straight Size Joints:
S44 Neapco PN: 2-3011
1310 Neapco PN: 1-0153
1330 Neapco PN: 2-4800
1350 Neapco PN: 2-0053

Conversion Joints:
S44 to 1350 is Neapco PN 2-1153
1310 to 1350 is Neapco PN 3-3140
1330 to 1350 is Neapco PN 2-3050

If by chance you have any other combination, which would be an extremely rare case, you can look up the joints by size here: http://www.aawheel.com/SiteResources...oUniversal.pdf Dimensional listings start on page 260.

Info thanks to GreaseDog

there's a pretty easy way to eliminate the possibility of getting the wrong ujoint... remove the idiot from the situation.