My Fairbanks, AK Heater Beater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There won't be much to this as I haven't had this truck since June of 2013, and didn't do much to it in the 8 months I had it, but being my first GMT400, I figured I'd give it a thread.

You must be registered for see images attach

1993 Chevy K1500 RCSB with a 4.3 and 5-speed manual.. Couldn't tell you what gearing, probably 3.42s, open diff... To be quite honest, I don't even remember what tires or rims those are on it, but I never changed them. Should have, as the prior owner ran the truck with a horrible front-end alignment and then moved the front tires to the rear.. There was NO tread on the insides of the rear tires lol. Full tread on the outside tho!

Surprisingly, I really don't have many pictures of this truck. I was more into video blogging at that time, so I'd have to go find all those videos and do screenshots. Don't care enough to do that lol, especially since I didn't do much of anything to it but drive.

When I bought it, the headlights didn't work, the taillights worked when they wanted to, the steering gearbox leaked out all the fluid in about 30 minutes, the seat and carpet were pretty nasty, the passenger side had been wrecked, and the engine leaked oil from.... well, everyfrickingwhere :roflsquared: ... I literally only bought it to have something to drive, had no interest in making something of it. The heater worked. In Fairbanks, that's all you care about. Drives, good heater, sold.

The only things I ever did with this truck other than drive it were replace the steering gearbox and have an alignment done, clean the headlight switch internals so the headlights would work, replace the ground properly for the taillights, eventually had to replace the blower motor because mid-winter, it locked up. Failed TWO front axle actuators, ended up rigging the second one to stay extended so my front axle was always engaged lol. When the 4x4 worked, you could not get stuck in that truck. When it didn't, ... well, let's not go there. I never even did an oil change on this thing, mostly because it leaked so bad I was constantly running new oil through it...........Literally.

I put a little over 6000 miles on it in the time I had it, and for the most part, enjoyed driving it a lot. I can almost say this truck is THE reason I love GMT400s so much, but my parents had a part in that by owning three of them themselves lol. I CAN however say, this truck is the reason I love driving with standard transmissions as much as I do, and the reason I love the 88-94 styled dashes more than the later ones.

The videos aren't on YT anymore... That phase of my life ended long ago lol. Would love to find another one like it to drive again.

Last edited: