my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok so i decided on doing 2' solid front floor with remaining 4' hinged.. After allot of indecisiveness, i decided to use the 2x2 as a sub frame and beds structure and use 1x1 for the floor skin that will be hinged.. Got the 2x2 done for the most part today.. Going to box the gate with some skin off the spare bed cause i like the clean ribs on it :) The 2x2 is 1 and 1/4 lower as to allow the hinge floor to rest on and line up with the front floor.. Been a pain in the ass. I also removed the bedsides under the 2x2 to clean up the area making first sight the air stuff instead of crappy looking buried bed pieces..lol Kinda floating look i guess

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.. Shinier :) Recoated the frame with the hammer finish..
You must be registered for see images attach

Idea of what im talking about with the bed floor..

Nothing under the 2x2.. ClEaN!!

The gap where the floor will hinge into..

I like this :)

This area in the center is what ima use to box the gate area..

This shows better how the 2x2 is lower so the floor can rest on it and line up with the other section..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so i decided on doing 2' solid front floor with remaining 4' hinged.. After allot of indecisiveness, i decided to use the 2x2 as a sub frame and beds structure and use 1x1 for the floor skin that will be hinged.. Got the 2x2 done for the most part today.. Going to box the gate with some skin off the spare bed cause i like the clean ribs on it :) The 2x2 is 1 and 1/4 lower as to allow the hinge floor to rest on and line up with the front floor.. Been a pain in the ass. I also removed the bedsides under the 2x2 to clean up the area making first sight the air stuff instead of crappy looking buried bed pieces..lol Kinda floating look i guess
I think that's going to work out great, and will still give access to your air supply!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.. Shinier :) Recoated the frame with the hammer finish..

Idea of what im talking about with the bed floor..

Nothing under the 2x2.. ClEaN!!

The gap where the floor will hinge into..

I like this :)

This area in the center is what ima use to box the gate area..

This shows better how the 2x2 is lower so the floor can rest on it and line up with the other section..

I think that's going to work out great, and will still give access to your air supply!

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Damn thats cool man. nice work as well. I don't know how you feel but the more you do, the more i want it done to see it all come together. It's going to be one sick truck.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! ...The 2x2 (sure you already know) will be outside the frame, I should be able to show from the front top of the notch back. Going to angle some 2x2 from the bottom front of the "box" down to the bed mount infront of it. And trim away the sheetmetal from under that also. Clean view from every angle that way (hope) May do something like a wall going from the bottom of the front floor angled back so you cant see any bed mounts. Got to still put some 2x2 under the rear of the box down to the floor, I'm figuring since it will be a 2x2 frame going from the front (second set) bed mount, all the way to the rear bed mount that it should be pretty sturdy not being mounted anywhere in between. And being a square its braced side to side so there should be no flex in the bed walls.. I so pray this works out right. lol.. I wanna lift the floor and from that point see NOTHING but air suspension! Im thinking since i have no use for the factory hood hinges, and the floor section should weigh pretty close to the hoods weight.. That i can use the hoods hinges (spring mechanism). That would make it cleaner than some arms poking out lol.. Thought about rounding the inner corners of the 2x2 frame..? Or would that look weird..?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That sounds great, I like the hood hinge idea. I also really like the look of rounded corner's, I think it could look badass if done right!

Reaction score
Going to be in my first car show tomorrow :) Also became a member of the car club id mentioned a while back.. I feel better about the truck even though its taken forever to do stuff on it. Caught a couple ladies filming me when they were passing the truck about a week ago.. Caught a few people taken pics of it in the parking lot at work.. Had a chick behind me at McDonalds today filming it with a freaken cam corder (who carries one in their car? lol..) Then on the way back to work i happen to notice the guy driven behind me was holdin his phone out the window filming.. Been getting comments every time i go to or from the truck.. Even when im at a stop sign or red light i get passersby sticken their head out the freaken windows yelling crazy stuff like "Fkn Awesome!" "Bad ***!" "Hell Yeah" " I love your truck".. And i get a **** ton of nasty looks from guys in donks. I think its funny when they pass me reeving their motor.lol.. Never expected a primer truck to get so much attention, and tho its cool in its own way.. I hate attention. I have major butterflies about tomorrow.. I know ima be the only one with a ride soooo far from finished. Sitting in a huge parking lot of nice rides. And all for the premier of the Fast5 movie. AT the freaken theater at that. I don't wanna be asked a million questions, if you were to know me in person id probably be the most bashful person you would know. I pray it turns out not being as bad as im fearing. Cause im stuck there for half the day :( Sorry for the long pointless post.. im just freaken nervous:sorrysign: