my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I got a cheap kit off EBay, it didn't fit good enough and the handle mount was kinda thin. Beefed up the mount and sectioned it to get the handle to sit flush with the factory trim ring. The screws looked kinda huge, so I just went ahead and welded it all. I'm happy with how it came out tho.
Also realized something that's a kind of no brainer, but may help anyone else who has this problem... If your tailgate sticks and don't want to open easily, or you have to lift your handle to get it to close... You can take some large needle nose pliers or some side cutter pliers, reach into the handle hole and grab the link rod that goes from handle to side latch, give it a slight twist.. just enough to put a kink in the rod. This will shorten the rod some. Which pulls the slack out of the sticking latch.
Mine wouldn't even open without a good fight, now that the rods have been kinked/ shortened, gate open and closes better than ever.

Reaction score
Starting to attempt it again..

You must be registered for see images attach

Opens away from the body pretty good.. further than the old set. I had to later modify the hinges so the door pockets would clear the window tracks. Didn't take a picture of that yet.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I like how you welded the handle relocator in. I am going to have to do that with my truck.

Nice progress.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! It's going to be freezing tomorrow,but hopefully I can get the hinges braced in and pop it free from the factory ones :)

Reaction score
Threw in a brace between the hinge pockets..
made a 1/8 thick door brace that also caps the hinges pockets...
Used 2x2 to tie the hinges to the rear of the cab and used 1/4 plate to help stiffen the hinges at the jamb...
Opens pretty far and very clear from the jamb/ cab.
Couldn't get it adjusted 100% because hinges came with a hand Allen wrench, and the socket Allen I had didn't fit. We went and got a bit set tonight so hopefully this weekend I can get it adjusted and start the NBS latche and body work on the door. Hopefully maybe the Miata handle. Fingers crossed...Lol
.......dang set screws on these hinges are a 4.5mm Allen.
try finding that at a hardware or parts store :( Not home depot, Advanced, Orielys, nor Auto zone.. Settled on a bit set from Auto Zone. Probably going to order the socket drive Allen.